Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've jumped on the Wireless CarPlay dongle, there are plenty of options, not cheap, but I hate wires so much, that decided to give it a try. So I went with Carlinkit 2.0.

So far experience is not great, when it work it's perfect, but the problem it works 1 out 10 times. most of the time module is not recognized, once it is recognized it pairs with the phone and works great, until power is out, after that I need to connect it 10 times to make it work once.I am wondering if this is general incompatibility or my device is faulty.

Anyway, anyone has any luck with Carlinkit or CarPlay2Air? Were you able to set it up and it works as expected? If so, can you please share a link to an exact model which works for you.

I would love to get wireless car play to work.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
anyone has any luck with Carlinkit or CarPlay2Air?
@tk1971 is the expert around here for you.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premium
47 Posts
I've jumped on the Wireless CarPlay dongle, there are plenty of options, not cheap, but I hate wires so much, that decided to give it a try. So I went with Carlinkit 2.0.

So far experience is not great, when it work it's perfect, but the problem it works 1 out 10 times. most of the time module is not recognized, once it is recognized it pairs with the phone and works great, until power is out, after that I need to connect it 10 times to make it work once.I am wondering if this is general incompatibility or my device is faulty.

Anyway, anyone has any luck with Carlinkit or CarPlay2Air? Were you able to set it up and it works as expected? If so, can you please share a link to an exact model which works for you.

Thank you!
I've had a really good experience with Carlinkit 2.0 units in my 2017 Bolt and 2020 Murano. These are good, dependable and "plug and play" units for converting wired Car Play to wireless.

I ended up with an extra new Carlinkit 2.0 unit (long story) that I'm now selling in the Audio/Video section of the For Sale sub-forum, in case anyone has interest.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I've got CarLinkit and have had a reasonably good experience. Car only recognizes it about 20% of the time. The rest of the time I have to unplug then plug it back in to get recognized, but that always works. As far as function, it has worked well. I bought it from Amazon because if it didn't work the way I wanted it was going back. Carplay2air didn't have a good return policy.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've been using CarPlay2Air for years now. We recently transitioned to the 2021, and it still works great. Actually seems to work better now than it did on the 2017. I no longer get dropoffs.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier
27 Posts
Today has been a good day! I received my Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless Dongle - ordered from Amazon. I plugged it in to the USB-A port in my 2020 Bolt Premier, the port I usually use to connect my cable for Apple CarPlay. There were some one-time prompts on my iPhone 12 Pro and on the head unit in the Bolt to connect, but connect it did!

Its working and appears to perform very well with virtually no noticeable lag or lack of audio quality. I tested the power down of the Bolt, exited the car, locked the doors, left unattended for several minute, then came back in and booted the Bolt up. Low and behold the indicator light on the dongle flashed red, then went to green, and a corresponding notification on the Bolt 10.2” screen showed that it was “connecting“. The connection takes only ~ 20 seconds to complete and then it defaults to Apple CarPlay!

I scanned to QR code on the instructions that came with the Dongle to access a utility to check the firmware on the Dongle. The indication is that it’s running the latest version and there is no update available. As I’ve thus far encountered zero performance issues, I’m certainty happy to keep things as they are (if it ain’t broke,…don’t fix it)!

One interesting observation I made is this creates its own distinct CarPlay profile from my original ”wired” CarPlay profile [on iPhone 12 Pro, in Settings > General > CarPlay]. Therefore I now have two distinct CarPlay profiles, one for my “wired” and the other for my “wireless“.

Somebody who heard me describe this Dongle said it sounds like a “sex toy”. Well, in some ways getting “wireless CarPlay” is very excitin, although I’m not ab to infer that it’s on the same par as sex!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought this adapter from Carlinkit Wireless CarPlay Adapter - Make Your Wired CarPlay WIRELESS. I had my doubts at first since its only $90 shipped with code.
Its super tiny and works very well. I was surprised. It doesn't lag at all and for some odd reason, it made my Carplay more stable. The cable method takes awhile to load sometimes and other times it fails.

Just thought someone might want to try a cheaper option that works. You’ll have to delete your bluetooth profiles on the mazda and also on your phone before you plug this in. Once you do that, plug in the adapter, click yes on the infotainment screen and then connect your phone to the wireless adapter.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I just got my Carlink adapter (after reading about it here, in this forum) and it works great, better than expected. It does connect fast and from what I saw, it doesn't drain the battery at all. It is true, I didn't use it more than 30-45 mins at a time. I have two iPhones and configured both to it, I can chose between the two (if I move fast - see video below).

One drawback - MyChevrolet app doesn't show when I use the Carlink adapter. It shows though when I am directly connecting my phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thank you!
I've had good luck with the Carlinkit 3.0. After a few seconds with its connect screen it just works. Combine that with a small mod to the wireless charger pocket to get my phone to fit and things are feeling quite civilized. ;-)

The only mod needed was using a slightly longer USB cable so I could tuck it all the way in the bottom of the console bin.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts