Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a dongle from CarPlay2Air.com and now I have wireless CarPlay. Before I bought it, I tried searching to see if anyone’s had success with this product in a Bolt, but I didn’t find any. I found a bunch of info against seemingly the same product under different names and sold by different vendors.

Anyway I’ll share here that the one I bought is labeled “CPlay2Air” and works on my 2017 Bolt.

Since my car is a 2017, I also replaced the wireless charging module with the Gen2 module and now my car/phone integration is completely wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here’s some detail regarding the new charging module. GM Part number 13521066. There’s 2 versions of these on sale, the kit with a new wire/connector and the module itself. I got the kit but the original wire in my Bolt cannot be replaced so I had to modify the connector to fit the new module. I also considered taking the connectors apart and swapping them but from what I’ve read on other GM forums (Coloradofan, caddy forums, etc), people had varying success rates doing this, so opted with what I was comfortable with.

I borrowed these pics from elsewhere, put them side by side and added the text/circles.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. No issues whatsoever with connectivity since you've had it? The only reason I ask is that the price on it is pretty steep...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing this information. No issues whatsoever with connectivity since you've had it? The only reason I ask is that the price on it is pretty steep...
From what I can tell, once in a while it takes almost a minute to connect, so I removed the MyLink profile from my phone and deleted the normal BT profile as well as KeyPass.

I found something less than ideal this morning... as everyone knows the Apple Podcast App is known for very low volumes, so it’s always cranked up. Well, doing this also cranks up my ringtone volume, so when I received an incoming call it was obnoxiously loud. I’ll connect it later tonight to the update address to see if the dongle has an available firmware update.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This looks fabulous, except the price ($US 160) is very steep. I might get it if it were half the price.
Don’t forget the wireless charging module retrofit. That’s another $100 just for the part. That is, if your car has the 1st Gen charger.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don’t forget the wireless charging module retrofit. That’s another $100 just for the part. That is, if your car has the 1st Gen charger.

I’m only interested in the wireless Carplay. I keep forgetting my phone in the car when it’s plugged in!

my phone doesn’t support wireless charging...

·
Registered
2021 Black Bolt EV Premier
1,299 Posts
This looks fabulous, except the price ($US 160) is very steep. I might get it if it were half the price.
It sucks that we Canadians have to pay almost double the price for anything in the US. F customs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright... I updated the firmware early this morning and it fixed the 2 things that weren’t quite right:

1) Ring tone volume is now separated from the master sound volume.

2) Apple Map now displays in the correct day/night modes instead of always in day mode.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hi OP, I’ve been looking at this more and more and I’m close to pulling the trigger. However, on looking at other forums that have reviewed this, some users have noted iffy behavior when updates are rolled out, and more importantly, a perceptible lag/delay in audio, especially when making phone calls. Have you observed any such behavior with your unit as it interfaces with the Bolt’s CarPlay?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi OP, I’ve been looking at this more and more and I’m close to pulling the trigger. However, on looking at other forums that have reviewed this, some users have noted iffy behavior when updates are rolled out, and more importantly, a perceptible lag/delay in audio, especially when making phone calls. Have you observed any such behavior with your unit as it interfaces with the Bolt’s CarPlay?
There’s already a slight delay even with a wired connection. This lengthens that delay. I have noticed it, especially when pressing the pause and skip buttons on the Podcast app.

The thing is... my wired connection was buggy / iffy to begin with. I find that bumping the phone, the wire, and especially the connector head at the USB port would result in a lost connection. Now that the wireless dongle is permanently fixed in place and the wire is plugged in and short enough that I don’t accidentally touch it, I find that my connection is more stable.

I have a FB post about this and another person has bought and verified that the less expensive Carlinkit from AliExpress works the same.

Also another member with the same dongle as me reported a barely functional unit that he’ll be returning.

Looks like a gamble with these.

Mine works adequately for me on my early 2017 Bolt on rev 14.5.0 on the infotainment firmware. Maybe the experience varies with the different head units and firmware revs that rolled out with the Bolt?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There’s already a slight delay even with a wired connection. This lengthens that delay. I have noticed it, especially when pressing the pause and skip buttons on the Podcast app.

The thing is... my wired connection was buggy / iffy to begin with. I find that bumping the phone, the wire, and especially the connector head at the USB port would result in a lost connection. Now that the wireless dongle is permanently fixed in place and the wire is plugged in and short enough that I don’t accidentally touch it, I find that my connection is more stable.

I have a FB post about this and another person has bought and verified that the less expensive Carlinkit from AliExpress works the same.

Also another member with the same dongle as me reported a barely function unit that he’ll be returning.

Looks like a gamble with these.

Mine works adequately for me on my early 2017 Bolt on rev 14.5.0 on the infotainment firmware. Maybe the experience varies with the different head units and firmware revs that rolled out with the Bolt?

Thanks for the update. I have a 2017 with the same firmware as you so that makes me feel a bit better. I’ve been following the Macrumors forum on this topic and some of them have reported a loss of function depending on the update that’s rolled out.
All in all it might be worth the gamble, especially for the Carlinkit that seems to be an identical product but at a substantially lower cost. Will mull it over in the next couple of weeks and report back in here if I decide to take the plunge.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I received the CarPlay2Air a couple of days ago but have yet to be able to get CarPlay to load. I tried to scan the update and the browser times out. So far, no go. The phone loads & I can play music but no CarPlay.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I received the CarPlay2Air a couple of days ago but have yet to be able to get CarPlay to load. I tried to scan the update and the browser times out. So far, no go. The phone loads & I can play music but no CarPlay.
Darn that sucks. I already placed my order for it. I guess I’ll just have to see how it works (or doesn’t) when I get it. How long did it take for it to get to you?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Darn that sucks. I already placed my order for it. I guess I’ll just have to see how it works (or doesn’t) when I get it. How long did it take for it to get to you?
About 20 odd days but then they ran out of stock. New stock arriving soon. I have ONSTAR wifi & phone blue tooth loading so maybe that's the issue.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts