·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? Looks like interesting fix for wireless charging:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Someone on one of the Facebook Bolt groups has done this mod and it seems to work. They’re promising to do a write up with pictures detailing how to make the mod. The module is $250, so this is a pretty cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Someone on one of the Facebook Bolt groups has done this mod and it seems to work. They’re promising to do a write up with pictures detailing how to make the mod. The module is $250, so this is a pretty cheap fix.
I am guessing the LT trim does not have the wireless charging "pit". $250 is very steep for "adding the module" (with very limited functionality since AA requires being "wired"). If you have a Premier, and wireless charging does not work, this video does not show how to fix a Bolt, just a Chevy truck.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
If you apply the same fix (altering the coil in the module) to the 2017 Bolt Premier, you’ll get wireless charging to work more reliably. The Facebook post details how to take the center console apart in the Bolt to get at the module.

My point about the $250 module cost is that the 2018 Bolt is support to support wireless car charging more easily. That implies that a new wireless charging module is being used. So a 2017 owner has two options: buy a new module for $250 with the hope that it can simply be swapped in/out, or make this simple modification to the existing wireless charging module.

And yeah, it’s dumb that you still have to plug-in to get CarPlay and AndroidAuto to work.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a 2017 owner has two options: buy a new module for $250 with the hope that it can simply be swapped in/out, or make this simple modification to the existing wireless charging module.

And yeah, it’s dumb that you still have to plug-in to get CarPlay and AndroidAuto to work.
You hit the two main points:

1. Modify or swap out the Wireless Module (I think Chevy should fix for free)

2,. CarPlay/AndroidAuto should work through Bluetooth

I am curious as to what is the function of the part (? coil/magnet) that has to be removed for Wireless Charging to work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
monkeyed around with iPhoneX and no luck for me ...will try to take insert off next.

I think Chevy should fix it...not likely that Apple admits it is in the wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Bolt recognizes the insertion of my iPhone X but does not charge the phone. I think the thin receiver coil and magnet sense when a device is in the slot but may in some way block charging. Maybe the receiver coil/magnet turn the charger on and maybe the hack in the YouTube video leaves the charger on continually (which may not be an issue in an ICE car)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I will be interested in swapping my rear floor console stowage tray with wireless charging:

For a rear floor console stowage tray without wireless charging:

If someone with an LT from San Diego is interested in doing the swap. I do not use the wireless charging and could use some additional storage. I have checked and GM do not sell this part alone, it is part of the whole center console. PM if interested.

·
Registered
624 Posts
monkeyed around with iPhoneX and no luck for me ...will try to take insert off next.

I think Chevy should fix it...not likely that Apple admits it is in the wrong.
Not sure how you determined that apple is at fault. My iPhone X works with all 3 wireless chargers I have, but not with the bolt. And the 2018 bolt will support the x and iPhone 8. So it’s obviously something on GM’s end.

http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/9-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-general-discussion-forum/20353-qi-iphonex-charging.html#post256177

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
General Motors is not.

Neither is Chevy or Chevrolet.
Don't think they ever claimed to be Qi compliant. http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/222498-post28.html

"GMC’s Wireless Charging is compatible with PMA 1.0, WPC 1.0 or WPC 1.1 charging standards, meaning it can work with many Powermat and Qi charging accessories."

When they designed the 2017 Bolt, the iPhone with wireless charging did not exist. Chicken and egg. Classic Apple IMO and makes me chuckle. Always taking the "high" road and leaving many with useless accessories. How about all those ear phones you can't use either.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You can’t blame apple for it not working when they meet the standard and GM doesn’t. It’s obviously GM’s fault. Or are you suggesting that apple should go out of its way to meet every custom implementation out there?

The standard is forward and backward compatible. If GM met it, it wouldn’t matter when the iPhone was released.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
You can’t blame apple for it not working when they meet the standard and GM doesn’t.
Can't really blame GM either. As there was a wireless charging format war going on between Powermat and Qi. GM made a product that bridged the two. Apple has completely thrown its weight behind Qi. War over. But now there's fallout and casualties. GM being one of them. And consequently the poor end user. For me, my phone is a generation back and my wireless charging works just fine with my 2017 Bolt.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
You can’t blame apple for it not working when they meet the standard and GM doesn’t.
Hey, I don't know anything about the wireless charging standards, but I know that there have been a number of occasions in the past when Apple has come up with their own way of doing things slightly different than everyone else and then get it certified as a "standard".

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey, I don't know anything about the wireless charging standards, but I know that there have been a number of occasions in the past when Apple has come up with their own way of doing things slightly different than everyone else and then get it certified as a "standard".
All the big boys are guilty of making (or attempting to make) their proprietary implementations standard. MS was particularly bad about this, back in the day. However this is one time Apple tried to do the right thing and just used an existing standard. But the thing about a standard is that it's a piece of paper, not an implementation, and paper can be interpreted slightly differently by different people. In this case you can buy ALMOST any Qi charger from Amazon and charge an iPhone, but a few won't work. Unfortunately GM's implementation seems to not work with Samsung (based on comments here) or with Apple based on my own experience. This seems to be a particularly "unique" implementation.

Personally, I don't care if it gets fixed or not as I use CarPlay and it requires plugging in. This is probably the single most annoying thing about the Bolt (which really says a lot about what a great car it is!).

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And Qi charging would be really nice if CarPlay/AA worked with Bluetooth (like it does with other vehicles)

GM/Chevy blew it in this department x 2

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
And Qi charging would be really nice if CarPlay/AA worked with Bluetooth (like it does with other vehicles)

GM/Chevy blew it in this department x 2
Wireless CarPlay is available only on a small handful of headunits. The only OEM who has it is BMW, and the only aftermarket manufacturer appears to be Alpine. Everyone else requires a hardware connection. Do you know of any other OEMs or aftermarket manufacturers offering wireless CarPlay? I haven’t been able to find anything, unfortunately. So it’s hard to say that Chevy blew it here.

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
624 Posts
It really... Chevy makes cars. Wireless CarPlay has been around for two years. They could have made a car that supports wireless CarPlay, just like BMW did. But they didn’t.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be interested in swapping my rear floor console stowage tray with wireless charging:

For a rear floor console stowage tray without wireless charging:

If someone with an LT from San Diego is interested in doing the swap. I do not use the wireless charging and could use some additional storage. I have checked and GM do not sell this part alone, it is part of the whole center console. PM if interested.
I would also love to do this. I have no use for wireless charging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts