Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2021 Bolt EV and quickly realized my oversized IPhone 11 with a cover did not fit down into wireless charging slot. I ordered the 3D printer large plastic holder for large phones and found that the phone went down but it didn’t hold the phone laterally in position to maintain charging while moving on the road. SO I took 2 layers of 1/4” foam from my wife’s quilting stash, cut to 3”x4” rectangles, covered in black duck tape and used double sided tape to hold it against the drivers side of charging box. I put it in top down with glass toward driver and it works great even on bumps. See pics below. This approach should work for any large phone.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
To use AA/CarPlay, you have to be wired in... not really sure why GM built in a wireless phone charger with the Bolt...

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Can you post some pics of the wireless charger itself (remove the phone holder)?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
To use AA/CarPlay, you have to be wired in... not really sure why GM built in a wireless phone charger with the Bolt...
Exactly! The stupid wireless charging slot, esp. in that location is a total fail.

If you put it in there and don't plug in, not only can you not use CarPlay (w/o an unsupported 3rd-party wireless adapter), you can't see the 2nd screen experience (e.g. more music player controls or additional directions in mapping apps). There's no point in using it other than for a phone that's not being used for CarPlay (e.g. passenger's phone or additional phones).

Here's an example pic from an older version of iOS.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
241 Posts
When I plug in my IPhone SE, the Waze app displays a map on the car’s screen, even though I don’t have the app running. How can I prevent this, if I don’t need navigation that day? During my free Onstar months, it’s hard to tell whose navigation map I’m looking at. Will drop Onstar at end of free trial.

Actually, when I want navigation, it seems a good design that the map is on the infotainment screen, and the next six turns are on the IPhone SE screen.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
When I plug in my IPhone SE, the Waze app displays a map on the car’s screen, even though I don’t have the app running. How can I prevent this, if I don’t need navigation that day? During my free Onstar months, it’s hard to tell whose navigation map I’m looking at. Will drop Onstar at end of free trial.
I've never used Moronstar's navigation. I'm not sure short of going to Settings > General > CarPlay > myChevrolet > Customize then removing Waze or deleting the app from your phone.

If you can't tell which map, pressing and holding the hardware Home button on your car should take you to CarPlay. Pressing it briefly should take you to the head unit's UI.

You could also make Waze's map look really different. In Waze, go to the the gear > Map Display and change say the color scheme or mode (3D, Auto, 2D). I use 2D for Waze. You could also disable location services for Waze so that it can't display the map at all. Go to Settings > Waze > Location > Never.

·
Registered
247 Posts
When wireless charging can you put the phone in upside down and still plug the cable into the charging/communication port of the phone?
Tried it yesterday with my wife's phone.

When you plug the phone into one of the console ports with a USB cable the green light comes on in the dash display. So the phone battery is charging and you can use the Apply Car Play options. No idea what rate the phone is charging at.

When you put the phone (not plugged in with the USB cable) in the console wireless charging slot upside down or right side up, the green light comes on in the dash display. So the phone battery is charging, either way.

If you put the phone into the console wireless charging slot upside down and then plug the USB cable into the phone and a console USB port the green light on the dash display turns amber. I'm supposing amber is "not good". Either not charging or longer term maybe damaging something in the phone or the console/car.

So, that idea/question is out.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
7,863 Posts
Tried it yesterday with my wife's phone.

When you plug the phone into one of the console ports with a USB cable the green light comes on in the dash display. So the phone battery is charging and you can use the Apply Car Play options. No idea what rate the phone is charging at.

When you put the phone (not plugged in with the USB cable) in the console wireless charging slot upside down or right side up, the green light comes on in the dash display. So the phone battery is charging, either way.

If you put the phone into the console wireless charging slot upside down and then plug the USB cable into the phone and a console USB port the green light on the dash display turns amber. I'm supposing amber is "not good". Either not charging or longer term maybe damaging something in the phone or the console/car.

So, that idea/question is out.
I think amber means something is in the slot but not charging... meaning it thinks you dropped something in there and not a phone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.