Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car and Driver has an article: "Missing Link: Will Wireless Charging Help Energize the Electric-Car Market? " I can't include the article's URL in this post so search on the article's title to find it.

C & D says that a company called WiTricity has developed an inductive system that is as efficient as a physical charging port.

"That WiTricity system, General Motors advanced technology spokesman Kevin Kelly confirmed, is in a “prototype testing” phase with the Chevrolet Bolt EV and Volt—although any future availability for these models isn’t yet a given."

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think we have a discussion about it somewhere on this forum. Wireless charging would be nice, but realistically there would be just too much energy lost in the process compared to the plug in version and it'll most likely take longer to fully charge the Bolt, not really worth the cost.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
There is no way that wireless charging is efficient as a plug. Air is not a very good conductor.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Actually, the article suggests that this new prototype is more efficient than a typical plug-in Level 2 charger.
I'd have to see some numbers from actual charging tests on the Bolt before taking wireless charging seriously.

Wireless charging would probably work better if a Tesla was involved ...

ba-dum chsh! ( sound effect! )
Lol, shots fired! But we don't really know if Tesla is already working on something like that. :eek:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'll buy it as soon as they get the price down to $1k or $2k. Plugging in and unplugging the car every 3 or 4 days seems like such drudgery...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'll buy it as soon as they get the price down to $1k or $2k. Plugging in and unplugging the car every 3 or 4 days seems like such drudgery...
You can have a servant do the plug in every night...

Seriously, it must be offered as an option.

First, there are many potential customers who want wireless charging, and some need it due to limited physical capacity (such as a handicap or sight) to hold and plug the charge cable. Some customers are forgetful or lazy, and don't ever refuel their gas powered ICEVs, letting other do it for them. They can just park in their garages and let the system work by itself.

Second, wireless charging prevents damage lossses due to sabotage or weather at charging stations, and can be installed at special businesses to attract more BEV customers. Just park and charge while you are enjoying that business services.

Since newer cars offer wireless smartphone charging (using the "Qi" standard) in the dash area as an option (to prevent those ugly USB cables lying loose), I am sure those smartphone users are the first to want wireless charging for their BEVs, and don't care if the charge takes more time or cost more.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Second, wireless charging prevents damage lossses due to sabotage or weather at charging stations, and can be installed at special businesses to attract more BEV customers. Just park and charge while you are enjoying that business services.
The downside is that the cost of the charging loop means it's more expensive to have two adjacent stalls that can both use the same charger. Right now a single charger often has two EV-designated stalls so that if one car is finished charging you can pull in beside it and just move the charger's cable to your car. Charger companies may be reluctant to install two charging loops for a single charger to enable that capability.

On the other hand, if they did install two loops then the charger could potentially be smart enough to accept payment for a second charge while the first one is in progress, and then automatically switch to the other stall when the first charge is done. That way you wouldn't have to be present to move the cable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts