Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the phone that will fit into the slot next to the driver where we would charge a phone?
Will it take the iPhone 7 Plus or even larger?

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the phone that will fit into the slot next to the driver where we would charge a phone?
Will it take the iPhone 7 Plus or even larger?
Does the iPhone 7 Plus have native support for wireless charging, or does you need to have it in a special case for it to work?

The photos I've seen indicate that the slot appears to be able to handle a phone the size of the iPhone 7 Plus. Any of the so called phablets.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apple doesn't currently support wireless charging, so the next best thing seems to be a soon to be released Mofie case that does support wireless charging.
As long as the cars charging slot will support something a little larger than the iPhone 7, this should work.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Personally speaking, I rarely need to charge my phone in the car. Wireless charging seems to be more of a gimmick these days than a must-have. USB ports for charging are nice, but again, doesn't seem to be a necessity. As long as I've got a 12V power socket or two, I'm set. I have plenty of dual-port 12V USB adapters for my cars that work just fine.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The USB really is sufficient me to be honest... even at that I walk around with a spare battery so I'm never really worried lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
Best thing to do for your wireless devices is to buy a power bank and keep it in your car, then always keep that on charge. If you buy it from a good brand like Anker you should get something with a charge speed similar to your phones OEM. Plus there are many perks to keeping a power bank in your vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Best thing to do for your wireless devices is to buy a power bank and keep it in your car, then always keep that on charge. If you buy it from a good brand like Anker you should get something with a charge speed similar to your phones OEM. Plus there are many perks to keeping a power bank in your vehicle.
For what it's worth: Please keep in mind that charging your wireless device from an Anker power bank or any other brand will consume a minimum of 35% more electricity than plugging in directly to a wall socket. I learned this from talking to Anker customer support.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Power banks are great for when you are out and about and your charge runs low, like at an amusement park, sports event, concert, etc. I can see the appeal of keeping one in your car. However, it's not necessary to keep it plugged into the car. Once the power bank is fully charged, it will retain that charge for months. Lithium-Ion has very low discharge rates.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not too sure about months, but they would last a good bit of time. It's definitely not necessary to keep it plugged into the car. Unless you're phone is running 12 apps constantly and you manage to run through the power banks charge lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
USB chargers for the 12 VDC power outlet (once known as "cigarette lighters") are very cheap now (about $5 at Walgreen's) and the micro USB cable is almost as cheap ($7 at Best Buy), so for almost $12 you can charge your smartphone in any vehicle. Wireless charging using the "Qi" standard is slower and more expensive (need the same charger and cable), which only save the time to plug in a cable. I have both and recommend the cable plug-in.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Cable plug in is just more efficient and effective. Why deter from it ! I mean, eventually, it will become phased out but there still mighty useful now.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
My 5.7" 950XL is a really tight fit. The slot has a soft wall, hoping that it loosens with use. But, I was getting power. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Apple doesn't currently support wireless charging, so the next best thing seems to be a soon to be released Mofie case that does support wireless charging.
As long as the cars charging slot will support something a little larger than the iPhone 7, this should work.
iphone 8, 8+, and X all support wireless charging. however, i haven't been able to get the phone to charge in the bolt. i have wireless chargers from 3 different vendors that all charge my iphone, but the bolt does not, so it appears to be an issue with the bolt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Do we have a case to get Chevy to swap out our wireless chargers? The manual states they're compatible, but in actuality they're not. We paid for a feature we didn't get.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts