Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the update so my 2022 Bolt EV won't catch on fire. Charged fine on my Level 2 charger at home but I was unable to charge on two separate High Power (50Kw) Level 3 chargers. Dropped it off at a dealer about 120 miles from home who promises nothing. It was also very cold, about 10F. Any ideas

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
You'd think the dealer would have a level 3.
Unfortunately I found dealers pretty unreliable when it comes to admitting they made a mistake.
Who knows what could have happened.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you check Plugshare? Willing to share the location of the chargers?

Were you using credit card readers? If it was Electrify America, did you EA makes a video on how to prop-up the cable ?
Happened on both a Chargepoint where the Chargepoint operator remotely turned on the charger and an EV Go which seemed to be operating properly. Both times car said "Unable to Charge"

·
Registered
262 Posts
Heck, my dealer's L2 charger is wonky - I picked up my Bolt today (7 days to install new battery) and they told me that it charges Volts just fine but overheats when they charge Bolts - they have to aim a fan at it...the difference between 16A and 32A is just too much for it.

The (different) dealer who sold me the car new (March 2018) had similar issues - delivery was delayed a day or so while they diddled around with their crappy charger...GM has a long long ways to go ejumicating its dealer network about EVs!

I'm in the process of assessing new battery capacity by starting at 100% SOC and noting the miles and kwh when each 5% capacity bar drops out...I have already seen some crazy flakiness with the mi / kWh meter - presumably the BMS will take awhile to get to know the new battery.

·
Registered
634 Posts
FWIW, after my 2017 got the initial diagnostic software last spring it no longer charged anywhere but my Clipper Creek at home. That resolved itself with the next update a few months later. Got the latest v2.0 about two weeks ago but I had not tried charging away from home. It's now in the shop for pack replacement and I suppose a final software update to remove the limitations.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,624 Posts
Right, I think it's a requirement to be Bolt certified as a dealership.
Only my local dealer is part of several around town. They share one 24K DCFC located 5 miles south of the local at the collision repair shop for these dealers.

Heck, my dealer's L2 charger is wonky... it charges Volts just fine but overheats when they charge Bolts - they have to aim a fan at it...the difference between 16A and 32A is just too much for it....
Wow, that's strange. An EVSE is just a small circuit board and one big relay that just passes the 240V to the car. They use very little wattage charging or not. No heat...
That's pretty Hoopty to point a fan at the EVSE. :rolleyes:

Tell them to get that figured out,,, wth...over?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Neither Bolt dealer in my immediate area has DCFC, though I've been to a couple chev dealers with the ~20 kW Delta / Wallbox DCFC.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Right, I think it's a requirement to be Bolt certified as a dealership.
Only my local dealer is part of several around town. They share one 24K DCFC located 5 miles south of the local at the collision repair shop for these dealers.

Wow, that's strange. An EVSE is just a small circuit board and one big relay that just passes the 240V to the car. They use very little wattage charging or not. No heat...
That's pretty Hoopty to point a fan at the EVSE. :rolleyes:

Tell them to get that figured out,,, wth...over?
My guess is a loose connection somewhere - tolerates 16A but not 32A

Not my circus / not my monkeys.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,953 Posts
Unfortunately I found dealers pretty unreliable when it comes to admitting they made a mistake.
Who knows what could have happened.
No dealers have a "Level 3" charger. They might have a DCFC, though. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts