Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lusted after one of these for months and i'm finally getting to the point where I can put the pieces in place. Even though she's made about 75 miles from here, I'll have to schlep to WDC area to go get her.

1. I used apple maps on my iPad and searched for Chevy dealers in WDC are which includes MD and VA where the Bolt is in stock.
2. I walked through every website and cataloged the available units (color, trim line, options, etc.) on a spreadsheet.
3. I collated this data and found a couple that fit my needs.
4. I called a dealer and asked about dealing with an out of state customer.....he said no worries.
5. I gave them a $1000 deposit this morning (2/7).
6. I'm assuming I'll have to wait a week or so to go get it as it's not even on their lot yet.

Now I need to get the EVSE installed, get vanity plates and arrange the loan (I don't lease, I buy).

BTW, since the Bolt isn't available in MI until November, my State Farm guy tells me that there's no code for him to quote me insurance coverage. Mine will be the first Bolt under State farm's umbrella in MI.

So look out Lansing, MI.....here she comes.

Dayle

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've lusted after one of these for months and i'm finally getting to the point where I can put the pieces in place. Even though she's made about 75 miles from here, I'll have to schlep to WDC area to go get her.

1. I used apple maps on my iPad and searched for Chevy dealers in WDC are which includes MD and VA where the Bolt is in stock.
2. I walked through every website and cataloged the available units (color, trim line, options, etc.) on a spreadsheet.
3. I collated this data and found a couple that fit my needs.
4. I called a dealer and asked about dealing with an out of state customer.....he said no worries.
5. I gave them a $1000 deposit this morning (2/7).
6. I'm assuming I'll have to wait a week or so to go get it as it's not even on their lot yet.

Now I need to get the EVSE installed, get vanity plates and arrange the loan (I don't lease, I buy).

BTW, since the Bolt isn't available in MI until November, my State Farm guy tells me that there's no code for him to quote me insurance coverage. Mine will be the first Bolt under State farm's umbrella in MI.

So look out Lansing, MI.....here she comes.

Dayle
Interesting on insurance. I called (emailed) my insurance guy in October to make sure they had it ready to go in their system. He had no problems. Farm Bureau.
Other then he assumed Volt not Bolt, even though I did spell it correctly , he had no problems.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Geico

I called Geico about adding my future Bolt. They don't have it in their system yet either.

They used a comparable $43,000 vehicle to give me a ballpark quote of $1500 a year for just the Bolt and not including my other two cars!!!

"That can't be correct" I told the Geico rep! The carbon fiber and aluminum BMW i3 was only $1400 a year and that's only because of the cost of replacing/repairing the precious materials mentioned above.

Hopefully they'll have it in their system soon and it won't be as expensive.

BTW I have a perfect driving record, (Postal employee with Defensive driving) an 830 fico score and I'm 54 and married, so I'm sure that the $1500 a year insurance premium will drop when the Bolt is officially announced in Georgia.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Geico estimate

I just plugged in a Spark ev into Geico's site and it will cost me $600 to $880 a year to add it depending on the coverage. Of course it's nowhere near the Bolt price so.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have fun with her, Dayle! MSU grad here, and yeah, baffles me as to how GM keeps the Bolt out of its home state, whose press has been so supportive. I'd strongly consider some snow tires, and save your higher efficiency tread for the summer. High praise for the Nokian R2s, which I have on 2 cars now, and can be found at a decent price via tire sellers on eBay. Congrats on being one of the first in MI! Expect a much lower range in the winter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update.......I drove down to Sterling, VA and picked up my new Bolt today. I'll load her up on my trailer and schlep here home tomorrow. Before we inked the paperwork, I took a test drive and boy was I impressed. Lightning fast, lotsa gadgets, rally cool.....and did I mention lightning fast? I haven't bought a new car in 10 years so I have a lot of 'new to me' technology to learn. But it'll be a fun learning curve.

Dayle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dayle, now I am really jealous. I had not considered going out of state until I read your first posting. I would be interested in leasing, so I wonder how that would work with an out of state dealer. What do you need to do to get the car registered in Michigan? I would guess that you would take your paperwork and your Virginia registration to the SOS here. I also wonder if a dealer here can arrange to have one shipped up here? Now that you mentioned it, I will call my insurance agent to find out about the codes. I do not even have my car yet, and I have already learned a lot. BTW the way you are lucky to live in the Lansing area. There are a lot of public charging stations available. Unlike over here in Lapeer County there is only one in the whole county. I have a Bosch level 2 charger on my house for my Volt.
Thanks.
Fred

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dayle, now I am really jealous. I had not considered going out of state until I read your first posting. I would be interested in leasing, so I wonder how that would work with an out of state dealer. What do you need to do to get the car registered in Michigan? I would guess that you would take your paperwork and your Virginia registration to the SOS here. I also wonder if a dealer here can arrange to have one shipped up here? Now that you mentioned it, I will call my insurance agent to find out about the codes. I do not even have my car yet, and I have already learned a lot. BTW the way you are lucky to live in the Lansing area. There are a lot of public charging stations available. Unlike over here in Lapeer County there is only one in the whole county. I have a Bosch level 2 charger on my house for my Volt.
Thanks.
Fred
Fred,
When the deal was consummated at the dealership in VA, they sent the usual assortment of paperwork home with me. I did NOT want to buy MI plates in VA.....they were going to charge me $250 for the privilege of getting generic plates when i wanted vanity plates. So I opted out of that fee. I came home with a temp plate from VA. When they sent me the 'certificate of origin', I went to the MI SoS office and got the car registered. I paid the sales tax, chose my vanity plate, etc. I'm currently waiting for the plates to arrive.

One weird thing happened....the dealer charged me sales tax and then sent a check for the sales tax to me with the other paperwork. I don't know why they did that....and at this point, I don't care.

As for a lease, I was offered a lease but I'm not a lease guy.....I buy my cars. I'm sure any dealer will be able to offer a lease to you.

I looked at a couple of dealerships about shipping one up but nobody would play ball. They had nothing that the VA dealership wanted as a trade. Bolts are rare and there was no "fair trade" to be made. Yes, they could have bought it for me and had it shipped up here but why pay for that service? It cost me about $400 to go get it. So that's why I drove down and picked it up.

Insurance was a bit interesting. As the Bolt is not sold here, it wasn't in State Farm's system. Initial coverage was swapped from my Accord as SF has a 30 day dual coverage policy. When i sold the Accord, I had 30 days of coverage on whatever car i replaced it with. Within that 30 day window, SF got a price figured out and now I have coverage on it.

I'm on Consumers Energy for my electric service. When I got the paperwork from VA, I scanned the bill of sale and emailed it to them. This will allow them to install a smart meter and I will be able to take advantage of the overnight discount in service. From 11p to 7a, the price falls from $0.17 to $0.10/kWh. Woohoo!

I bought a JuiceBox 40Pro and really like it. Like the Bolt itself, the EVSE 'talks' to my phone and I can modify options, view the charge details, etc. Very slick.

Feel free to email me ([email protected]) offline and I'd be glad to share the details. That's the reason I've posted about my experiences....so other MI Bolt enthusiasts could gain insight from my trevails and learn from them. What to do, what NOT to do.

Dayle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dayle,
Sounds like quite an adventure. I have to take my Volt into the dealer next week and while I'm there I will talk to them about getting a Bolt shipped. I know that dealers are not keen about getting cars from other dealers like they were in the past. Now days, dealers are reluctant to search for a car that is not in their own inventory. I am curious though about the sales tax. You paid sales tax to the dmv in Va, and the dealer later refunded it? I wonder if it had anything to do with paying Michigan sales tax when you registered the car here. I have three months before I have to turn in my Volt, so I have time to research my options. I will contact my insurance agent soon and find out what they know about insuring the Bolt. Leasing is the only option for me. There is no way I could afford a $ 40,000 car otherwise. So that will have to be something to work out as well.
Thanks again, and keep us posted and post some pictures of your new baby.
Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts