Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say if you were in one of these Texas or Louisiana storms where entire cars got flooded all the way past the top of the hood, would you be electrocuted inside your Bolt? Since the 12V battery is on while you are driving and the contactors are open, would you and your passengers be electrocuted?

Does the car have some kind of GFCI like the kind inside of homes and buildings that prevent electrocution from wet environments where the vehicle could become submerged enough to cause this?

·
Registered
643 Posts
+100 bro1999 - drowning and beings swept away and killed by flood debris is a much greater risk vs. anything electrical - many many things "can" kill you - very very few things are likely to kill you.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Teslas are known to float and possibly drive on top of the water. With the sealed battery and good door seals, maybe possible with a Bolt. Depends on other cabin penetrations, like the fresh air intake. The Bolt will detect certain faults and disable the battery. Most likely giving a condition not right and won't allow you to shift. Just like a car wash.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Most cars will float for a very short time, if the doors are securely closed, but water would slowly enter the cabin by the door seals and wire runs.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Most cars will float for a very short time, if the doors are securely closed, but water would slowly enter the cabin by the door seals and wire runs.
Don't forget the cabin vents and HVAC system inlet >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
They're in the back? Holy cow, I drive on a dirt road and the back of the car is hosed by dirt. My cabin filter will need more frequent replacement.
No, those aren't the HVAC inlets. Those vents are there to let air out when you close the hatch. Otherwise air pressure would make it much harder to close. The HVAC system brings in air at the front and runs it through the filter behind the glovebox.

Your air filter will still need more frequent replacement than one in a car that stays on pavement, though.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The flood would kill you before anything in the Bolt would.
That is very true!! GM follows OSHA regulation such that all high voltage carrying conductors (wire, cables, and connectors) must be water tight and brightly labelled (orange). But GM already has water proofing in every vehicle for normal 12 VDC cabling. I have own six GM vehicles and driven over ten more. All have excellent water protection, since I have washed the engine bay with a simple garden hose and none have failed or have engine problems. Only the air intake needed protection.

So if the Chevy Bolt EV was flooded and dried, I bet and expect the vehicle to startup and drive away!:)

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Did someone say "Texas Flood"?

Oh boy!!!! :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
Great song, One of my favorites from one of my favorite guitar masters. Rest in Peace Stevie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.