Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a reservation deposit on a Tesla Model 3 but have been seriously considering a new 2017 Bolt LT. Already did a couple of test drives and I have read the pros and cons. We have a 2006 and 2015 Toyota Prius which we have been very pleased with. An EV will be the next vehicle.
I read a lot of complaints from Bolt owners about problems with their cars such as they won't start or they are driving and lose power or power significantly drops off in the middle of the road, etc. Usually the problem is resolved. Sometimes owners have had to leave their Bolt at a dealership for weeks due to a lack of experienced technicians. I am very concerned about these types of issues.
I am curious if these owners are just a very small percentage like 3-5% or larger like 25% or more.
I would love to hear from owners who haven't had problems or had extremely minor issues and those who have had enough problems with their Bolt that if they could go back in time would not have bought a 2017 Bolt.
Seems like there are a lot of owners in California. Would be great from those in the Miami and South Florida area where I live.
Would also like know if any owners in the Miami (preferable North Miami area) have had good or bad experiences with local dealership service/repair centers when an issue arises. My gut feeling is there are few to no experienced repair techs for the Bolt based on my reading of repairs taking weeks.
Thank you,
Jeff
Miami Shores, FL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check out this section on the Forum: Chevy Bolt EV Forum > Chevy Bolt EV Problems, Troubleshooting, Maintenance And Warranty > 2017+ Chevy Bolt EV Issues And Problems > Is your experience trouble free so far?

Lots of posts in that thread to answer your inquiry. Personally I'm six months in, 12000 miles, and ZERO problems. Love the car!

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
I do not think Bolts break down more often than any other brand new cars in the first manufacturing year. Unlike the Tesla faithful, Bolt owners are not bound by a solemn oath to speak about the car in superlative terms only.

I had my deposit for a Model 3 for long enough to figure out that the $35K Tesla will not materialize for a long period of time, and asked for my money back.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I read a lot of complaints from Bolt owners about problems with their cars such as they won't start or they are driving and lose power or power significantly drops off in the middle of the road, etc. Usually the problem is resolved. Sometimes owners have had to leave their Bolt at a dealership for weeks due to a lack of experienced technicians. I am very concerned about these types of issues.
I am curious if these owners are just a very small percentage like 3-5% or larger like 25% or more.

The issues are probably less than 1%. The reason why you here about these complaints is because if something is wrong people need to vent. You hardly ever hear about people's cars that work properly, because it does what is supposed to do. I have driven my car 27,000 miles and only had one issue. The car wouldn't shift into gear. I turned the car on and off a few times and nothing worked. I then exited the car with my key, locked it, unlocked it, and it was fine. That issue happened 5 months ago and never happened again. I think I tried to engage the car into gear before it was ready and confused it.

I would be more concerned about the seats being comfortable for you and the passenger over the issues you brought up. I hate the seats! I added extra cushioning under the seats, put some back support in, and it is now tolerable. I shouldn't have to use the word tolerable for a car that has a MSRP over $38,000. I am probably going to get my seat completely reupholstered in a few months. For me it is still worth it because there is no other EV that satisfies my range even close to the price.

·
Registered
330 Posts
(...)I am curious if these owners are just a very small percentage like 3-5% or larger like 25% or more. I would love to hear from owners who haven't had problems or had extremely minor issues(...)
I think the number of people that had real issues that required warranty fixes is very, very, very small, more like faction of a % IMHO. On forums you hear about the couple people with issues, you do not hear about the multiple 1000's without any issues.

A few "Conditions not right for shift" are real issues that required parts replacement, but most of them are user errors with shift procedures and the condition cleared itself with a car shutdown and restart.

I personally have not experienced any issues with the car after 15k miles, nothing stopped working, nothing rattles, nothing has required to see the dealer, zero maintenance costs beyond windshield washer fluid. I fixed the little annoyances myself (Extended sun visor and extra foam in the seat) and the car has been a peach. Also it is pretty much half the cost of the current Model 3, I paid $28k after rebates and incentives and before taxes for my Bolt Premier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in Atlantis, FL, just south of West Palm Beach and have a 2017 Bolt Premier.

Lets get the only problem I had with the car out of the way first. Right after we bought it, we went north for two months. When we came back, it would not power up. I called the GM phone # and they sent out someone with a jump pack to get it powered up. That didn't work, so they had it towed to Schumacher Chevy where we bought it. It turns out that it had a defective 12 volt battery that kept the car from powering up. They replaced it and all has been perfect since then! They have two techs trained on the Bolt and I talked to the tech that worked on mine. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

Now to the good parts:

The car is fun to drive! We really like it.

When I wanted to get the Bolt, my wife was not too sure about it. But now, she looks forward to taking it out. She likes that she has good visibility and that it handles very well. When you put down the back seats, there is a lot of room to haul things.

My son-in-law drives big Jeeps. When they came to visit, I let him drive the Bolt. His jaw dropped when I told him to punch the pedal and it pushed him back into the seat! And he was really surprised how easily all the scuba gear for two people fit into the back.

Some people say the front seats are not comfortable. We do not see that issue at all. We have taken several long rides in the car and do not have any complaints with the seating. I guess it is a personal thing.

We are getting better then 4 miles / kWh with the A/C running. I could not be more pleased.

If you only drive short distances on a daily basis, you can get away with the 120V EVSE that comes with the car. Otherwise, I would put in a 240V EVSE in your garage. I think I am going with the JuiceBox Pro 40 unit.

I have not yet tried charging up at any commercial charging stations. But I have free accounts set up with Chargepoint and EVgo. We are going to take a trip to the Keys to go scuba diving soon, and I will try the EVgo DCFC station in Homestead just to see how it works.

What do I think the car needs? The car is great, but to make it perfect for us I would like to see four things:

1. Power seat with memory for the driver's side. My wife and I have very different seating positions
2. My wife wants a power lift gate like we had the the C-Max Energi
3. I would like Android Auto to connect without a cable. It just seems silly to have to plug in the phone every time
4. We don't understand why GM has stopped including the Homelink garage door opener in their vehicles. I really like it in my Volt up north. Not really a deal breaker, but it is a nice convenience.

Try to talk your dealer into letting you have the car over a weekend. I don't think you will return it!

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Jim I - Very Happy 2017 Bolt & 2012 Volt Owner

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Statistically, probably less than 1% of Bolt owners have had issues that require a dealer visit.

You mention you have a 2006 and 2015 Prius... go to priuschat.com and read endless posts about problems with them.

I had a 2012 PIP... never required any dealer visit, just like my 2014 Volt and my 2017 Bolt... all have been trouble free.

For most car models... posts are generally for problem solving.

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
836 Posts
My problem is excessive tire wear - due to excessive use of floorboard cruise control.

Seriously, car has been perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m in Tampa. 3,000 trouble free miles so far. I’m getting over 5 miles per kWh so far, although a/c usage has been minimal. Car is fun, fast, quiet, economical, environmentally benign and, by the way, did I mention fun?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am at 9500 feet in Colorado; very wintry. Have almost 5000 miles on my Nov.-purchased Bolt and everything has worked perfectly.
I installed a Clipper Ck. charger in the garage, and that also has no issues.

And I too had a deposit on a Model 3, but the wait time just became absurd. No regrets at all. And now that temps are warming up, I see that the range in spring and summer and fall will be more like 265 miles, not the 240 rated.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
My problem is excessive tire wear - due to excessive use of floorboard cruise control.

Seriously, car has been perfect.
Wait, I thought cruise would minimize tire wear due to constant speed. It's the aggressive acceleration and deceleration that wears tires more. I don't understand, is "floorboard cruise control" not plain cruise control that keeps your speed constant?

BTW OP, 9000 miles (IT'S OVER 9000!!!) in 5 months and I've had one "Unable to Shift" problem (not really fixed, just replaced the shifter knob a precaution), mirror that is peeling (replaced, waiting on final interior trim piece), window pitting I can't reproduce unless I have lots of sunlight, OnStar-myChevy Android app issues, mild interior trim rattling on passenger A-pillar (I'm working on it with rubber shims).

Other than that, I still love my Bolt. I used to just like it as I preferred the styling and ICE range extender of my old Gen 2 Volt, but the more I drive my Bolt, the more I love it. Even if it does look a bit dorky for my tastes.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Wait, I thought cruise would minimize tire wear due to constant speed. It's the aggressive acceleration and deceleration that wears tires more. I don't understand, is "floorboard cruise control" not plain cruise control that keeps your speed constant?
If you put the pedal to the floor it's a type of cruise control. Can't go any faster. The sooner you set this type of cruise control, the tires complain mightily.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I've been following all of the Bolt forums since before the car was available, and it's my impression that the serious problems are relatively few and far between and that they have for the most part happened to early production vehicles. My Bolt, which was built in September 2017, put into service at the end of October 2017, and has accumulated almost 10,000 km of travel, has not had any issues other than some Android Auto glitches that I don't blame on the car.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
As was mentioned the biggest issue is the seat thing. When mine was new it kind of bit into my left rear cheek. But I’ve noticed that diminishes somewhat with time. And it’s rather helpful occasionally in letting me know I need to hit the gym while reducing intake of pizzas and brewskis.:eek:

·
Registered
51 Posts
You wont regret the bolt life , only 1 month in and 5500 km still puts a smile every time I get in, gas cars belong with the dinosaurs.

·
Registered
501 Posts
jayarek said:
I read a lot of complaints from Bolt owners about problems with their cars...
How many is "a lot"? There aren't actually very many owners with valid complaints.
The only advice I have is sit in the damned thing because there are a few people who find
the seats uncomfortable. They fit me perfectly and 2 hour drives cause no discomfort to me or anyone
who's ever ridden in my LT.
jayarek said:
I would love to hear from owners who haven't had problems...
I am one. 7 months of ownership, ZERO problems, ZERO complaints. I love this car.

·
Registered
501 Posts
quirkySquirt said:
There's an implied smiley face in his post. He's jokingly referring to the 'go' pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for easing my concerns. I bought a new 2017 Bolt LT last Friday. Have only driven it four days. Very pleased with it.
I ordered the ClipperCreek HCS-50P with 14-50 plug. Should arrive this Friday. Just had a 240V line run to the garage.
Went with the -50 instead of the -40 because it is on sale for only $70 more and the EVSE will be able to charge faster (when/if I get another EV; in about 10 yrs). The -40 will charge at the maximum rate for a Bolt or Tesla Model 3 standard battery (I think a connection adapter would be needed though for a Tesla). A Model 3 extended battery could take advantage of the -50 EVSE.
Anyway I am very appreciative of the chevybolt forum members and I hope to post from time to time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.