Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

Would you buy a new Bolt?

• Yes

Votes: 67 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Maybe, if they commit to replacing all bad batteries in current vehicles, then I'd have some faith

Votes: 18 16.5%
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
So with all things mass produced... problems do arise.... solutions do come (sometimes not as fast as we want).... otherwise it will be the death of the Bolt.
Play it safe, but be realistic.
Granted I am only 4 months in to this adventure, but so far I am farting Rainbows of Joy everyday I drive to and from work putting $$ back in my pocket... I will soon have Solar installed (Soon is my hope) .... then I will 0 out my electric bill altogether and I will be doing all I can do right now to start to save this planet for my Posterity to enjoy, As I have done...
Go Chevy Bolt Nation!!! Pioneers of BEV...

·
Registered
'20 Bolt Premium
24 Posts
4k miles on our 2020 Premier with no issues to speak of. I would absolutely buy another one 😍

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have seen some reference in threads here that the '22 Bolt batteries are built here in the U.S.
I believe the batteries for the '22s are still being built in South Korea.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I believe that since the mid-2019 models all the packs from out of Holland, MI. I've seen that mentioned quite a lot. Which is why no later models are part of the recall.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
176 Posts
I bought my 2021 bolt premier the first of may when GM gave a $12,000 rebate to sell all leftover 2021 models to make room for the 2022 model year
I got a great deal and I couldn't be happier

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been Bolt shopping for a few months but my wife has decided against the car for now. I concede her point that there is no good reason for us to take on the fire risk. I've told her (and myself) that the 2020+ model years are probably safe but until a mechanism is identified that explains the fires to date and is not present in the newer cars, or years pass, that conclusion is suspect.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Never. I'll buy a 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning , 1st off the line made before I buy another GM. GM dinked me around for other issues with my bolt before the recall.... like selling me a NEW 2017 that already HAD a recall for a new battery but didn't tell me? Then other issues .. nevermind.
Answer is No. I don't like the way they are handing this "recall" and it's not fair to many that are getting screwed out of money because their State has a bad Lemon Law

·
Registered
72 Posts
Prior to the most recent GM guidance based on fires after the fix, I would have. Now... I'm not so sure. The way I look at it is, if GM spends months coming up with a permanent fix and that fix ends up not working, how do we know the new ones are safe? They were wrong about the fix. Could they be wrong about only the packs from South Korea being involved? They are still nearly identical packs even in 2022 and still produced by LG. After the fix-fail, would it really surprise anyone if in a year or so, it is found that 2020, 2021, and 2022 Bolts are starting to catch fire?

Now I don't think that's likely but still, trust is marred at this point. I mean, the history is:

• GM says prelim fix should prevent fires: they were wrong
  • GM said final fix will prevent fires: they were wrong
  • GM said only South Korea packs are involved: could they be wrong?

Mike
Mine is a 2020 Premier, manufactured 11/2019. Is there anyway of knowing if my battery pack is Korean made or USA made.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A week ago I would have said yes without hesitation, but GM has botched my buyback so badly they changed my mind. Now I feel like they need to send a guy in a flat bed tow truck to my house with a bag of money, post-haste!

·
Registered
275 Posts
What is going to happen to all the Bolts GM buys back? Do we know yet? Would like to think that GM won't go all EV-1 on them and crush 'em. Or store them next to all those recalled VW diesels.

So the recalled Bolts will find their way back on the streets with a fresh American made battery pack? At what price?

·
Registered
2017 LT upgraded to 2020 Premier
74 Posts
Mine is a 2020 Premier, manufactured 11/2019. Is there anyway of knowing if my battery pack is Korean made or USA made.
Read the window sticker. If the Korean content is less than 20%, then battery is made in the USA, if 50% above, then in Korea

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Prior to the most recent GM guidance based on fires after the fix, I would have. Now... I'm not so sure. The way I look at it is, if GM spends months coming up with a permanent fix and that fix ends up not working, how do we know the new ones are safe? They were wrong about the fix. Could they be wrong about only the packs from South Korea being involved? They are still nearly identical packs even in 2022 and still produced by LG. After the fix-fail, would it really surprise anyone if in a year or so, it is found that 2020, 2021, and 2022 Bolts are starting to catch fire?

Now I don't think that's likely but still, trust is marred at this point. I mean, the history is:

• GM says prelim fix should prevent fires: they were wrong
  • GM said final fix will prevent fires: they were wrong
  • GM said only South Korea packs are involved: could they be wrong?

Mike
I recall reading online that Hyundai went through a similar process due to LG's Assembled Packs. Initial response was a software patch but they eventually determined packs were assembled incorrectly and it was a physical problem with cell spacers?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Read the window sticker. If the Korean content is less than 20%, then battery is made in the USA, if 50% above, then in Korea
The sticker on my 2020 said 57% Korea though I've read that all the 66 kWh batteries, all 2020s, are US made batteries.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier
75 Posts
Respectfully, I would like to know how you come to that conclusion. I purchased a 2020 Bolt in December 2020. I am looking at my Window Sticker right now.

"For Vehicles in this Carline: US/Candian Parts Content : 24% Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: Korea 57%
For this vehicle: Final Assembly Point: Lake Orion, MI USA
Country of Origin:
Engine (Motor) Korea
Transmission (Electric Drive Unit): Korea "

My VIN has not been involved in the recalls. Thus, I am trying to understand your statement above.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looking at the NHTSA website regarding this sticker, it says it's percentage of value, and it must be calculated before the beginning of the model year. It makes sense that they'd have to use real data from the previous model year rather than projections about the future so the stickers may be behind the times. People on this forum who seem to know what they're talking about claim the 66kWh battery in the 2020s was made in Michigan but it doesn't make any difference because none of the 2020s are included in the recall because there have not been any fires in 2020s. Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looking at the NHTSA website regarding this sticker, it says it's percentage of value, and it must be calculated before the beginning of the model year. It makes sense that they'd have to use real data from the previous model year rather than projections about the future so the stickers may be behind the times. People on this forum who seem to know what they're talking about claim the 66kWh battery in the 2020s was made in Michigan but it doesn't make any difference because none of the 2020s are included in the recall because there have not been any fires in 2020s. Keep your fingers crossed!
Part 583 American Automobile Labeling Act Reports | NHTSA says it is an estimate or projection, not based on prior year. For the 2020 year model, if the battery is made in the USA, the battery alone would exceed the labelled 24%.

Note that not all bolt EV batteries made in Korea are recalled, only those
produced at LG Chem’s Ochang, Korea plant
that are design level N2.1 per https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V701-2513.PDF . Late 2019 and 2020 batteries made at that Korean factory could be at different design level and are not part of the recall, at least for now.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Respectfully, I would like to know how you come to that conclusion. I purchased a 2020 Bolt in December 2020. I am looking at my Window Sticker right now.

"For Vehicles in this Carline: US/Candian Parts Content : 24% Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: Korea 57%
For this vehicle: Final Assembly Point: Lake Orion, MI USA
Country of Origin:
Engine (Motor) Korea
Transmission (Electric Drive Unit): Korea "

My VIN has not been involved in the recalls. Thus, I am trying to understand your statement above.
See my previous post for the basis of my conclusion. Essentially if the battery is made in USA, it alone would exceed the 24% parts content shown in the window sticker of 2020 model year Bolt.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I use my smart phone to look things up on the road. I wouldn't use it to look at the internet at any other time. Why would you look at the world through a keyhole, if you didn't have too?!
Convenience. I used to think the same way, but my Internet access has become about 90% iPhone now ... and I’m only using a 6s-sized device (soon to be 8-sized device) ... so not one of those “monster” phones.

As for buying a Bolt, I lined everything up to purchase a 2020 (and then a 2021), but then cooled my heels on the idea partly due to the fire issue, but mostly due to the charging speed.

·
Registered
9,257 Posts
Convenience. I used to think the same way, but my Internet access has become about 90% iPhone now ... and I’m only using a 6s-sized device (soon to be 8-sized device) ... so not one of those “monster” phones.
I own a smart phone for very specific reasons. It runs Torque Pro, which was my original reason for buying it. It is great for showing distance to a charger on a trip to compare to GOM. And sometimes it actually works to get a charger running, or at least call customer service. Other than that, I have found it useful when out on my bike, miles from home, to see where the storm cells are.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts