Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
121 - 140 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
When the Bolt first came out the seats were truly awful. Actually, that is giving them too much credit.

We bought a Bolt EUV for my wife last year and I was ready to dump my Model S to get the EUV for myself, then the recall hit the 2022s also.

I would absolutely buy another EUV, but there is no way I would buy another Tesla. I’m just looking for the right replacement for the Model S.
Why do you prefer the Bolt to the Tesla?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 2022 Bolt 2LT at a local dealership once the battery recall has been completed. The dealership is also offering to pay to install a fast charger (labor only) at my house.

I test drove a Bolt a year ago and should have pulled the trigger then.

I have a 50 mile round trip to work and will for the next 6 years so I think the Bolt would work out great. Not planning on long trips.

Would you buy your Bolt again? Even without the $7500 fed incentive the price is still better than most electric cars.
I will wait for the 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV. It has the new batter technology.
I'm looking at buying a 2022 Bolt 2LT at a local dealership once the battery recall has been completed. The dealership is also offering to pay to install a fast charger (labor only) at my house.

I have a 50 mile round trip to work and will for the next 6 years so I think the Bolt would work out great. Not planning on long trips.

Would you buy your Bolt again? Even without the $7500 fed incentive the price is still better than most electric cars.
The 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV is worth waiting for.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like my bolt, even with the software installed to limit charging. But my experiences with the GM dealer network and Onstar randomly trying to get me to upgrade to a paid Onstar plan has soured me on the experience. I can disconnect OnStar but then I lose the ability to use the App to monitor charging.

My Ford had similar functionality but without the annoying OnStar voice yelling at me at random times. Next car I will research any in-vehicle systems to verify they are hands off and won't market to me while I'm driving.

·
Registered
Chevrolet Bolt 2018
32 Posts
Yes, I have a 2018 and I'd buy it again. I'm enjoying the heck out of my first EV.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’d certainly but it again. It’s a fantastic car, fun to drive but not so fast I have to just poke around thinking of how fast it could go. Very usable and real world performance. It practical, trunk looks small but is deceptive in how much can fit in there. If I want a 75” TV, there is a van for that. It is a bit twitchy in strong crosswinds but not unmanageable or uncomfortable. If I wanted a car for long trips I’d just buy a Tesla. But would probably buy a Corvette instead. Bolt is very low maintenance and a great car. For those who are unhappy with it quit complaining and sell it and buy a Tesla.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I bought a used 2017 premier with 16k miles for $18k. Best money I've ever spent. We live in Dayton OH and make trips to Columbus and Cincinnati/Covington KY all the time. These trips are 60-80 miles one way and the seats are just fine. For reference, I'm 6'3 260 and my wife is 125. Neither of us has an issue with the seats.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
1,718 Posts
No doubts. Yes and when we see 450 mile range and 15 minutes or less for 80% charge I will replace my ICE car.
Have you owned BEV before? If not, you're probably in with most people in being completely ignorant in what you actually need. 300 miles and 10-80% in 20 minutes will keep you on the road pretty much non-stop, 250 miles and 30 minutes 20-80% is almost all of the way there. You'll be waiting a long time for that 450 mile huge American car that charges that fast in 15 minutes and it will be over $40k for a long time too. You're talking a 100+kWh battery while we're about to head into a massive crunch in raw supplies.

Most 2 car households would probably love owning a second EV that only has 150 miles and needs to charge over night. These are all things that will hit you square in the face in the first months of owning a BEV to where you'll be either eating crow or living in denial about how wrong you were.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No - fast charging is circa 2016 which was fast at that time but abysmal now. GM’s recall was the absolutely worst experience that we have had with a vehicle. It took about 9 months for us to swap our 2020 Bolt for a 2022 Bolt - during this time our range was reduced about 40 percent and were restricted on charging and parking the vehicle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got the trade from a 2021 to a 2022 Bolt EUV and loving the upgrade. Price has a lot to do with your choice so if you have the funds go for the EUV. Tesla and other EVs are also good but most will cost $12,000 to $15,000 more OTD. Also, it depends on how you use it and if you have a second car for trips which I do.

I am glad to have the Bolt but my next EV will be something like an Ionic 5 or 6 or maybe a Cadillac or a Chevy Blazer. In 5 years we will have a greater choice and maybe prices will be under $50,000. As for Tesla, they are nice but I like the paddle regen braking and Tesla only had the one peddle driving which I dislike a lot. I have tried to use one peddle driving in the Bolt and have never felt comfortable. I also don't like the Tesla center screen. I find myself distracted even looking at the large center screen on the Bolt. I will never buy a EV without a driver screen in front of the steering wheel. I also like all the controls on the Bolt steering wheel that are very easy to use and again Tesla does not have these easy controls and you have to keep looking to the center screen. (unless you buy the Tesla MS or MX to get the drivers screen but those cost $90,000)

We have always had a wide variety of ICE vehicles to pick from and we will soon have the same for EVs so it will be easier choice in the future and even Tesla will have to make more models people can afford if they want to sell 2 million or more vehicles in the USA every year.

Price did have a lot to do with my initial decision to by the 2021 Bolt as I got a lot of discounts. And now with gas prices so much higher I will be saving at least $1,000 a year in fuel and don't have to go to a gas station. Over the next 5 years that savings pays for my car insurance and more. And in 5 years the resale price with get me at least 50% back. Hence it is a good value for me because of the low initial price in the $25,000 range.

Used car price will change once the auto industry gets back up to full production in 2 years and then used EVs will be more affordable. If you need a EV to just commute and run around town the Bolt is a great value but it is not a luxury vehicle like other EVs costing $50,000 OTD.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
720 Posts

Just FYI....the dealer is offering you nothing. GM is paying for L2 circuit installation with new '22s. EUV comes with both L1 and L2 charger and then you are good to go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just FYI....the dealer is offering you nothing. GM is paying for L2 circuit installation with new '22s. EUV comes with both L1 and L2 charger and then you are good to go.
Only the EUV comes with installation of the home charging wiring from GM, not the dealer. If you get the wiring for just he EV version then the dealer must be paying.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. The seat comfort was solved with a $50 memory foam cushion; I made a full-size spare that fits into the area below the top floor in the back; and I'd rather use an $80 Garmin GPS than my phone for navigating anyway. That took care of the only three flaws I see in this car. It is the ideal electric car for me, including when taking a long trip since I have to stop more often than necessary for charging anyway. The Teslas are beautifully engineered, but are very poor designs for someone like me, who is not willing to look at a touch screen to make adjustments while driving. I didn't like the experience of driving one, the headroom, the side-to-side leg room, or the low seating position at all, and the emphasis on acceleration and autonomous driving is a mistake, in my opinion given that many (but certainly not all) of the people I know who own them feel they can stop taking responsibility for paying attention while traveling. Riding with one of those owners was one of the most frightening experiences I've ever had, as the car jerked out of the way of an oncoming car while he messed with the screen. He thought that was evidence of how safe they are. I've never drifted into the oncoming lane while driving, so I saw it differently. I want buttons and dials that I can feel, and love the fact that the Bolt gives me the option of interacting with the vehicle in any way I want. And I know one Tesla salesperson who actually watches movies while "driving." Gives me the willies.

As for range, I can tell you that my commuting range is between 300 and 350 miles per charge. I plug this car in every week or two. My normal highway traveling range is about 250. The worst case range (below freezing, high winds, heater running, driving 75 on the highway) still gives me 150 miles, and I seldom have to drive very far in those conditions. And I don't drive more than 100 miles or so without stopping anyway at 71. I have no problems driving from Maine to Philadelphia with nearly 100 DC fast charge stations available when I only need two.

I paid $20,800 to drive it off the lot of a Chevy dealer with a brand new 66 kWhr battery, 28,000 miles on the odometer, and an 8 year/100,000 miles warranty on the battery. You can't really beat that value with anything else right now. And honestly, if someone gave me a Tesla I would sell it and buy a Bolt. I would probably keep an Ioniq5 though, but even the new Bolts are relative bargains compared with the Hyundai or Kia EVs.

And really, if the only problem someone has is the seats, my memory foam makes this the most comfortable vehicle I own, including my F1500 with very generously sized seats.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV
9 Posts

In a heartbeat. We bought a 2022 Bolt EUV last summer and still love it. We use it for all local errands and our metro area driving, too. I’m a big guy but find it very comfortable. Our operating expense is basically zero since our solar cells charge it and we still put power into the grid for credit most days. The GM deal of them paying for a 240 volt charging outlet sealed the deal for us.
And, simply put: it’s a fun car to drive!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I live my Bolt. Never have regretted buying. Plan on keeping it for 15 years. However, I have a 2017 and criticism of the seats I’d valid. They work fine even on long trips but they aren’t comfortable. My new battery gives me a legitimate 260 miles and if I baby it I can get 290.

·
Registered
22 Posts

100 percent yes. I have been treated VERY well by Chevrolet with the battery exchange. My Bolt (2017) has been flawless. I am Chevy to the core. Dad beat the crap out of Fords and Mopars (Therre are after all, only three car brands, Chevy's Fords and Mopars LoL) - I will give it to Elon though) at Detroit dragway (66 built SS396, (Dad ran NHRA street modified superstock) I'm a Dertroit gal to the bone. As to my Bolt, my mileage is now at 310 max, 260 average. You will never ever buy gas, oil or grease again, and they are very well made cars - solid, and you can feel the road - no mush. (sleepers if you want to put your foot in it cause some bozo klod in a ICE pickup truck is riding your tail - Buh Bye, and GONE! how cool is that!

121 - 140 of 173 Posts