Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes I'd buy it again, in a heartbeat, without any doubt. You'll enjoy the 50 mile commute, and it will be the most fun part of the day to the point where you'll be sad when it's over. Yes, the seats in my 2020 are improved over my first Bolt, a 2017,.and unless you have an oversized derriere, seats are ok.
I have a 2017 and haven't had any seat issues probably just me I weigh about 140 pounds, and they fit me fine. Now if they just came with a 5 point racing harness hahahahahaha - they really are fun cars to drive! ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd buy every single Bolt in the world that I could afford to buy and then when they got recalled swap them and trade out into something else. I have PTSD jumping through these recall hoops but give me 10 Bolts and I can turn that into 150k with the benefit of hindsight :ROFLMAO:

Car is great, don't let anyone talk you out of it. Listen to their criticisms and try the car out for yourself. You're not going to get S-class perfection in a car that could be had for under $20k used easy in the now fantasy world where **** didn't go haywire.

GM has been a nightmare for some to deal with but there's the valid question to be asked in how much better another OEM would have done. I disagree with many in that GM has been way more awful at implementation of resolutions than others, personally.

So no problems with the car. A lot of problems with the time consuming and at this point emotional drama of having to deal with the recall... I want to say bureaucracy as the nicest way to put it.

Also, don't be scared of fires. Nothing to be scared of. As long as you know people perceive that it will go on fire, sometimes irrationally, that's all you need to know. If you wind up in a pre-recalled battery I wouldn't stress about it one bit, not even in a '17 or '19 (the years with the most fires).
In retrospect, I found that my battery replacement trauma was dealer related (Evergreen Chevrolet in Issaquah Wa) They suk. I worked with my Bolt concierge, at Chevy (Bob at Evergreen wouldn't even respond to HER calls and emails, and she was going to report them to Chev regional), she got me moved over to Chevrolet of Bellevue, I talked to Ed and Patrick, and it was smooth sailing - One day in and out, bada bing, bada boom, easy peasy. I just camped out in the waiting area, although they had reserved a loaner for me in case I wanted it. -- 2017 Bolt EV - I suggest working with your concierge, and if your dealer gives you grief, or is non responsive, well.... slip out the back, Jack! Make a new plan Stan! Chev. continues to earn the loyalty and trust of this ol' Chevy gal (Detroit born and bred).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Absolutely. Good points: Super zippy and agile. Smaller size makes it easy to park and tuck in everywhere. Battery is better than specs. I get well over 300 in town (full charge to zero). Ultra-economical. Low center of gravity gives a great feel on the road. Great visibility. Bad: It's Hot-Hatch with a bit bouncy ride from the shorter wheelbase. The suspension is tight because of the 1000lb battery down bottom. Tires are Ecos, so they too are a little stiff the first 5K miles. Seats are not thickly padded - so resultant ride if fine for a younger person and worse for a old person with achy bones. Just run the tires at 34 PSI and add seat covers with 1" of regular foam under them. Bingo. These cars are maligned sleeper KING OF VALUE in an electric car. And the look grows on you. I added a stripe from Amazon to visually even out the height to width ratio. It looks proportional now. View attachment 42521
That stripe is cool! I need to do that - my 2017 is a deep cherry red clear coat - so white would really set it off! Black ight blend too much. Was it hard to put on without bubbles and get it lined up? For me, I like the seats - they feel somewhat "racey" - ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 2022 Bolt 2LT at a local dealership once the battery recall has been completed. The dealership is also offering to pay to install a fast charger (labor only) at my house.

I test drove a Bolt a year ago and should have pulled the trigger then.

I have a 50 mile round trip to work and will for the next 6 years so I think the Bolt would work out great. Not planning on long trips.

Would you buy your Bolt again? Even without the $7500 fed incentive the price is still better than most electric cars.
We have a 2017 Bolt and we would absolutely buy it or a new one again. We love it. The battery recall has really been only a minor inconvenience. We always park and charge outside anyway, so the precaution for keeping it outside has been irrelevant. We use it for day trips and only charge at home with our L2 Juicebox. Even with the 85% charge limitation we get sufficient range for everywhere we go. Even longer day trips further in the NY Metro area.
Originally when we bought it, we said when the Tesla Model 3 becomes available we would trade it in. But once we got the car everyone in the family - kids included said, no daddy we have to keep the bolt. We put an after market sunroof in and is terrific on nice days.
I am looking at the battery replacement as almost getting a new car. For free......

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
3,509 Posts
In retrospect, I wish OP had asked people to indicate if the Bolt was their first EV or not. I think many of the things I love about my Bolt, I would probably love about most EVs: fun to drive with instant torque and a low center of gravity for better handling, low maintenance with entire systems not needed (oil, gas, exhaust, transmission), low operating cost, quiet, surprisingly roomy (without those unneeded systems taking up space), etc.

I think most people who have bought an EV would do so again. The real question is whether people will stick with a particular brand of EV.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,858 Posts
.... We also have a 2018 Nissan LEAF SL ..... but the Chademo charging option on it supports vehicle to house power.
I think this is in Nissan's dreams.
Has anyone in NA been able to use this 'feature'? :unsure:

Reactions: ohioboltdriver1976

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,858 Posts
We will never buy a Chevy product again. Not with OnStar involved.
Curious, what did Onstar do to you?
I hardly know it's there and haven't thought about it for years....
Are they "Tracking you"? ;) And your phone isn't?....

Reactions: Voldar

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
564 Posts
Why do you prefer the Bolt to the Tesla?
Simple. Because I can afford to buy one. And did, 2 years ago, used. Used Teslas are NOT a good deal, even if you can find one. Used Bolts exist, and in general (especially with the replaced battery), are a pretty reliable car that's affordably priced. Even new ones (if you can find one for MSRP or less) are a pretty good deal. If what you're looking for is transportation, Bolts provide it. If you're looking for a road warrior special, save your pennies and get a Tesla (or a big-battery Ford), but save lots of pennies and I hope you like a huge laptop screen providing all of your instruments and such in the middle of the dash.

Oh yes, and Tesla's now "soft-recalling" cars because the CPU in the infotainment screen overheats: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tesla-cpu-overheating-bug

·
Registered
239 Posts
For your use case, absolutely. The Bolt does just about everything I want. I have it for 4 years now and with the replacement battery, my 259 EPA miles are enough to get me almost anywhere (except parts of Wyoming, Montana and New Mexico.) My only gripe is the slow DC fast-charging rate, especially since the charging curve was downgraded in the software updates during the battery fiasco. I just finished a 1600 mile trip through New Mexico to the Mexican border and back and would've saved a few hours of travel time with a better charging curve. I have ordered a VW ID.4 AWD with a 135 kW max charging vice the 55 kW for the Bolt. Moreover, the ID.4 never goes below 50 kW up to 95% while the Bolt is down to about 9 kW now at that point. This makes the ID.4 much better for long-distance trips. I will keep the Bolt for every day driving.

That being said, the only time on my last trip that I was just sitting around waiting for the charge to complete was in Wagon Mound, NM, which has nothing but two gas stations with convenience stores. Otherwise, I was eating or shopping or doing something else during the charging sessions.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Simple. Because I can afford to buy one. And did, 2 years ago, used. Used Teslas are NOT a good deal, even if you can find one. Used Bolts exist, and in general (especially with the replaced battery), are a pretty reliable car that's affordably priced. Even new ones (if you can find one for MSRP or less) are a pretty good deal. If what you're looking for is transportation, Bolts provide it. If you're looking for a road warrior special, save your pennies and get a Tesla (or a big-battery Ford), but save lots of pennies and I hope you like a huge laptop screen providing all of your instruments and such in the middle of the dash.

Oh yes, and Tesla's now "soft-recalling" cars because the CPU in the infotainment screen overheats: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tesla-cpu-overheating-bug
I agree. I also like that the Bolt's seats you higher than a Model 3...and they are 20k less.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
In retrospect, I wish OP had asked people to indicate if the Bolt was their first EV or not. I think many of the things I love about my Bolt, I would probably love about most EVs: fun to drive with instant torque and a low center of gravity for better handling, low maintenance with entire systems not needed (oil, gas, exhaust, transmission), low operating cost, quiet, surprisingly roomy (without those unneeded systems taking up space), etc.

I think most people who have bought an EV would do so again. The real question is whether people will stick with a particular brand of EV.
The people who bought a Bolt EV (especially before 2020) are very knowledgeable people who knew a lot about what they want and what to expect from an EV. I might say that many came from Leaf or Volt or Spark, who knew about the quality of the battery and TMS made by GM. Or at least learned about its quality. I doubt there are Tesla owners who transitioned to Bolt EV.
I started my electric journey with a Volt in 2014 because there was nothing else on the market (besides Leaf) who could answer my needs. It was the only car in the household. I changed for a Bolt EV in 2018 once the DCFC infrastructure was good enough to allow me to have the Bolt EV as the only car in the household. And I might change my BoLT EV for an Ultium EV when they will be available on the market (2-3 years from now). I never thought I would buy a GM car before, but VoLT happened.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did they replace the battery on the EUV?
I got a new Bolt EUV that was manufactured in April. It was a trade as I had purchased a 2021 in July. Don't know why they approved my request but it may have to do with moving vehicles out of the factory and at the same time removing one more defective battery and any lawsuit payments.

·
Registered
300 Posts
To answer the original post question: I just did.

Ordered a 2022 last June because of my 2019 battery issue. Plant stopped one week before building the car.
Since then, my battery was replaced in November.
Got a phone call 3 weeks ago. Car was just built.
Current Bolt resale value jumped significantly.

Therefore, I should take possession next week for almost nothing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I got a new Bolt EUV that was manufactured in April. It was a trade as I had purchased a 2021 in July. Don't know why they approved my request but it may have to do with moving vehicles out of the factory and at the same time removing one more defective battery and any lawsuit payments.
So, the battery for the EUV was Made in Michigan...and not under recall

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,154 Posts
So, the battery for the EUV was Made in Michigan...and not under recall
The ones built after they restarted the line last month, yes they all have "good" batteries. Of course, my EUV has a Michigan built battery, but it's from last year and it still under recall. Only the ones built after the recall last August 20 have the replacement style battery and are cleared for sale.

Reactions: kent
141 - 160 of 173 Posts