Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Then you haven't rented many cars. I traveled the US and internationally for many years and most every time left off the rental car several states away and sometimes a different country.

jack vines
When I rented before, they do ask if I am going out of state. This is many years (like decades) ago. Maybe they ask more questions in the west coast.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I've never been asked if I'm going out of state when renting a vehicle. Unlimited miles seems standard to me, but then again I only rent with the same 2 companies.

Regarding the 5000 mile trip that made a rental company upset about overdue oil changes; it doesn't matter in the least. Those easy freeway miles aren't going to wear out the oil or harm the engine. I've gone 14k between changes on my Prius, and the oil analysis always says I could run it further. Besides, rental companies only hang on to a vehicle for a couple years and then find some poor sucker to buy them down the road.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I've never been asked if I'm going out of state when renting a vehicle. Unlimited miles seems standard to me, but then again I only rent with the same 2 companies.

Regarding the 5000 mile trip that made a rental company upset about overdue oil changes; it doesn't matter in the least. Those easy freeway miles aren't going to wear out the oil or harm the engine. I've gone 14k between changes on my Prius, and the oil analysis always says I could run it further. Besides, rental companies only hang on to a vehicle for a couple years and then find some poor sucker to buy them down the road.
I think it's standard practice to deduct 10 cents a mile, so that rental cost them $500 in resale value.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I think it's standard practice to deduct 10 cents a mile, so that rental cost them $500 in resale value.
Right, the real cost is in depreciation. The part about oil changes being missed is the nonsense I'm disagreeing with.

Unlimited means unlimited though. If they want to place limits on the terms of the rental, they should have done so. If I'm ever asked to leave a buffet, I'll do so without paying.

·
Registered
619 Posts
when buying an EV its best to wait as long as reasonable, drive what is available to purchase and make a decision. There is always something interesting coming soon. That said the VW wagon has my full attention
I’m actually waiting on their van too.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I live and drive in the west. But even out here, we can't ignore the data. That a few outliers choose to make longer trips does not change the fact that 99.9% of US daily personal vehicle use is less than 240 miles.

Yes, it's human nature to want it all and a lot of it, but life's about tradeoffs. Mark Donohue, when asked if 1,000 horsepower was too much, he answered, "Too much horsepower is when it's still getting wheelspin at the end of the longest straight." I've owned too many very high performance cars to count and never had one with too much horsepower. However, for the vast majority of US daily use, I seldom find the room to fully extend the Bolt; it has more than enough power and more than enough range. Your opinions and results may differ, but that's just you and me, not the entire car buying universe.

jack vines

No one is talking about daily driving--as if anyone has a 240+ mile commute. I guess weekend excursions are a California thing. I'm glad I don't live somewhere where there is no place desirable to drive to within a120+ mile radius. I guess most of the population does end up in the metaphor of New Jersey after driving for two hours. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
The car market is changing faster than any time in my life, and my first car was a 1970 Cutlass Convertible in 1976... The Mustang, having AWD for me in Northern New Jersey, looks very attractive. So does the larger battery pack. I believe that in 3 years, 300-350 miles will be the middle range for EVs, and we will have a few that are higher. Most importantly, we should see fast charge stations at every gas station or fast food restaurant or strip mall. I'm hoping we can keep our 2017 Bolt long enough to see the market shift.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts