Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
281 - 300 of 334 Posts
My Spark EV would do that LOL
I think any Bolt will too with traction control turned off.

Speaking of which, the BMW S1000R I used to own would wheelie over so fast without TC I wouldn’t even know what happened after laying on the ground LOL. It also had Lauch Control to maximize the take-off. All it needed was fold-out wings and a propeller, and it could have been an airplane. 2.8 lbs/hp has some amazing things like 2.6 seconds 0-60 and 9.9 seconds 1/4 mile times.

Motorcycles still rule everything except a Plaid. And what fun is sitting in a box while stretching out arms and face skin LOL

Mine will spin the tires even with traction control on. Doesn't seem to kick in very quickly.

I'm considering it only if it meets a certain requirement: AT LEAST 8" CLEARANCE above the road. I love my 2017 Bolt Premier dearly, but at 5.5" clearance it hangs up on trailheads and can't get into the garage without scraping on the pavement. I know EVs don't want to be topheavy and risk rolling over, but this clearance thing is a major drawback.
Do we have an idea what the ground clearance might be on the Equinox? If I'm careful I can get to the large majority of local trailheads with the 7.3" on our 2003 Highlander. If the Equinox has a similar ground clearance and approach/departure angles, I would replace our Highlander and go full EV. Otherwise it probably makes the most sense to replace our Spark EV with a Bolt or Ultium Bolt replacement and only drive the Highlander when absolutely necessary.

Discussion starter · #288 ·
Do we have an idea what the ground clearance might be on the Equinox? If I'm careful I can get to the large majority of local trailheads with the 7.3" on our 2003 Highlander.
No idea other than what you can see, but I doubt its much different than the Bolt. EV’s are low slung for aero (and also smooth bottomed with golf ball dimples for the same reason), and GM properly understands the importance of range for people, so I don’t think they’re prioritizing anything like clearance or approach/departure angles with anything but the trucks.

To me these look like urban SUV’s, but I could see them coming out with one or more outdoor oriented SUV’s which have better clearances.

I learned early on not to take my Bolt off pavement.

No idea other than what you can see, but I doubt its much different than the Bolt. EV’s are low slung for aero (and also smooth bottomed with golf ball dimples for the same reason), and GM properly understands the importance of range for people, so I don’t think they’re prioritizing anything like clearance or approach/departure angles with anything but the trucks.

To me these look like urban SUV’s, but I could see them coming out with one or more outdoor oriented SUV’s which have better clearances.

I learned early on not to take my Bolt off pavement.
I take mine off pavement all the time as I live off pavement and so do my friends. It was better than our Prius (not saying much, I know), even before I lifted it a half inch with bigger tires. It's not a pickup and you have to keep a sharp eye out on dirt and gravel roads and drive slow enough that you can find a path through the holes and rocks before you get to them. It was an adventure, but I drove the Prius about 50 miles off pavement in Mojave National Preserve and failed to get stuck. It was one of those deals where you get started down a road and don't want to turn back. The Bolts narrow and short wheel base is an advantage that the Equinox doesn't have so I would bet it is even worse than the Bolt. I think the Blazer would be your best bet

I think the Equinox EV is about 20" longer than an EUV. We don't need that, and it just makes it harder to park.
In our Washington state the Chevy Bolt EV is short enough to qualify for a $3 discount on our ferries. Almost all other cars can’t get the discount. Doesn’t sound like much, but 50 trips on the ferry keeps $150 in my pocket. I’d reach to the ground to pick up $150, even with my bad back. But, for the Chevy Bolt ferry discount, I don’t even have to stoop over.

In our Washington state the Chevy Bolt EV is short enough to qualify for a $3 discount on our ferries. Almost all other cars can’t get the discount. Doesn’t sound like much, but 50 trips on the ferry keeps $150 in my pocket. I’d reach to the ground to pick up $150…..& I don’t have to stoop over with my bad back.
Haha, that reminds me of another fantastic advantage of my Bolt. It's short enough to fit in my garage along with some toys in front of it. The Equinox is too long. The narrow width also makes for easier entry and exit next to another one of my toys.

Watch (279) Matt's Off Road Recovery - YouTube for a ton of reasons why not to drive an ordinary SUV off road. You really need at least an electric banana.

Just left the Detroit autoshow. Gm rep said all the Equinox for the first run ie the 2rs for next year are spoken for already. So... 2024 it is if your trading. She said might be able to get a blazer still next year. But the Equinox are all gone. It looks comparable to a trailblazer. Or a fat bolt euv. Surprisingly I walked by it a few times. No one really even looking at it. I think the euv has more rear leg room. It seems like they wasted space trying to make it look like an old style SUV.

Blazer was worse. What's under that long snout...? Kia a no show effectively at Detroit,but as I left an ev 6 went through the intersection in front of me.. an order of magnitude more cabin space in an equivalent size to the blazer. I know why gm is not letting out the specs now

Haha, that reminds me of another fantastic advantage of my Bolt. It's short enough to fit in my garage along with some toys in front of it. The Equinox is too long. The narrow width also makes for easier entry and exit next to another one of my toys.
two thumbs up! I was going to type up almost the same post.
I park my BOlt in the my detached garage/shop, because that is where I have a 200 amp electrical panel and the EVSE.
And because the Bolt is short, I can also park my other favorite 4-wheeled toy in front of it, and I can sneak my other two-wheeled toy next to the bolt easy and sneak it out of the garage.

I can understand the love of special car/model or year/type.
I am struggling not going back to ICE; and there are some really good new models that came out this year.
But after some internal wrestling/reasoning within the brain dept., I am 99.9% sure that it will be only EVs for me. This new equinox is starting to look good.

Just left the Detroit autoshow. Gm rep said all the Equinox for the first run ie the 2rs for next year are spoken for already. So... 2024 it is if your trading. She said might be able to get a blazer still next year. But the Equinox are all gone. It looks comparable to a trailblazer. Or a fat bolt euv. Surprisingly I walked by it a few times. No one really even looking at it. I think the euv has more rear leg room. It seems like they wasted space trying to make it look like an old style SUV.
They’re already spoken for? How can that be?

I can understand the love of special car/model or year/type.
I am struggling not going back to ICE; and there are some really good new models that came out this year.
But after some internal wrestling/reasoning within the brain dept., I am 99.9% sure that it will be only EVs for me. This new equinox is starting to look good.
Hey Charlie 👍,

I am just past struggling with going back to ICE. I went there less than a month ago by buying an ICE Equinox of all things. So I couldn’t wait for even a Bolt. My wife and I decided that we can’t deal with a one-car situation. So we paid full MSRP and called it a day.

I have major buyers remorse, and already am looking at the Equinox EV. I expect to lose like betting on the 3 to 1 favorite, and watching the horse stumble and destruct out of the gate LOL.

Your plan is much better than my mine. And my brain is 99.9% positive that your brain is positive for a very good reason: we have been permanently altered by the Bolt. And now I will just go cry for awhile 😢 😭

281 - 300 of 334 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.