Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Wow! Such a fun drive

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Packard V8 
#1 ·
I thought I had posted my introduction but I was wrong. I bought it on December 1. It is love from the beginning. I am still using the regular 120 volt charger and all is going well. I've only taken one long range trip and didn't start with a full charge so I had to stop half-way. I'm sure range anxiety was involved, too. Since I have reaearched the range issue and am looking forward to the next adventure.

#4 ·
Correct me if I am wrong. The provided EVSE, run at 110VAC, offers Level 1 service at either 8 amps or 12 amps (set inside the EV). The "most common" Level 2 EVSE, run at 240VAC, provide 30, 32, or 40 amp service. The provided EVSE, run at 240VAC, is limited to 16 amps, providing 2x 8 amps, but only 1.33x 12 amps. Am I right?

#6 ·
Using the stock charger:

120V 8A (default) - around 70 hours @ 3.5 mi/hr
120V 12A (manually selecting 12A each time you charge) - around 50 hours @ 5 mi/hr
240V 12A (plug adapter, gets you automatic 12A on 240V) - around 24 hours @ 10 mi/hr

It's well worth getting/making an adapter to plug the stock charger into a 240V dryer outlet or whatnot.
Most people commuting up to an hour each way would be fine without installing an L2 station.

#8 ·
I really feel like reviewers miss the mark when talking about the Bolt. It really is like an electric hot hatch and such a fun ride. They might complain about the seats or the looks, but those are fine to me and the ride itself is so much better than the Mercedes E320, Ford Mustang and Acura Integra I’ve owned in the past. Quicker, more fun to drive, much more practical all-around and much cheaper to operate (the Integra was a lemon and repairs cost me a ton).

#9 ·
X2 - we knew we needed a BEV for practicality, but the Bolt was such a hoot to drive, that was the cherry on the sundae.

Also, X2, because our Bolt use is local, mostly two to ten mile errand running; seldom more than 50 miles a day, that's where the BEV excells.

In the six months of winter up here, it's wonderful to hit the button and have the battery warmed and the car interior and seats hot.

The supplied L1 would have been adequate for our use. However, the utility was offering a free L2, so we took them up on the deal.

We've kept the long-paid-for SUV for road trips and severe winter road conditions, but it never gets used day-to-day. The second year of the Bolt, the SUV battery died from lack of use. I now keep it on a battery maintainer to preserve the 12-volt battery. The two sets of tires will age crack before they ever wear out. Since I wasn't hauling engines one day last week, I took the SUV on my 100-mile-round-trip just to confirm it still works..

jack vines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.