Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-wozniak-rants-against-elon-musk-and-tesla-2018-1

And he is fond of his Tesla too, although he can see the spots on the leopard that is Elon Musk.
I am quite concerned for the future of Tesla. The car has been out for six months, and they don't have one in the Tesla showroom in the state capital, in Richmond. As much as they need cash flow, you would think they could come up with a Model 3 to display there. It took GM three months to have Bolts on the lot in Virginia, and there were screams that it was just a compliance car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Like the Woz I have the tesla X but Bolt is becoming my daily driver

Still prefer the X on long trips though...

Reactions: ai4px

·
Registered
293 Posts
And even when the CCS is built out at 150 kW, the 2017 Bolt's DCFC charging speed will still be crippled to a max of about 65 kW, and then only for very low SOC.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
And even when the CCS is built out at 150 kW, the 2017 Bolt's DCFC charging speed will still be crippled to a max of about 65 kW, and then only for very low SOC.
Same way a classic Model S60 is crippled as well with "slow" supercharging speeds. Last year's "new toys" slowly turn obsolete. That's just a fact of life.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Same way a classic Model S60 is crippled as well with "slow" supercharging speeds. Last year's "new toys" slowly turn obsolete. That's just a fact of life.
Not really apples to apples. You could upgrade the S60 to enable supercharging which would double the charging speed of the existing level 3 infrastructure. I think just Franks point is that even when you upgrade the Bolt to the fast charging, it's still slow by todays standards. It was obsolete at first delivery and no way to bring it up to speed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-wozniak-rants-against-elon-musk-and-tesla-2018-1

And he is fond of his Tesla too, although he can see the spots on the leopard that is Elon Musk.
More about this at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/car-tech/apples-steve-wozniak-is-done-with-elon-musks-broken-tesla-promises/ar-BBIxjin?li=BBnb4R5

"Interestingly, Wozniak said he and his wife also own a Chevrolet Bolt EV. And despite how much more luxurious the Model S is, he said they "always drive the Chevy Bolt EV instead of the Tesla, every day." That doesn't mean he never drives his Model S, though. Instead, he prefers to drive it on long road trips so he can take advantage of the Tesla's better range and Supercharger access."

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I dunno about The Woz, but coming from a really long station wagon to the tiny subcompact hatch that is the Bolt, I find parking anywhere is much easier and squeezing past cars much more easier. Turning radius for U-turns is tight too!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I dunno about The Woz, but coming from a really long station wagon to the tiny subcompact hatch that is the Bolt, I find parking anywhere is much easier and squeezing past cars much more easier.
I never gave this issue much thought until ... I drove an early (flat-sided) Trooper for a decade. (found an old photo). Then replaced it with the '99 Subaru Outback (photo) I mentioned in another thread.

I couldn't park that Outback worth a darn. In the Trooper, parallel parking was just zip zip zip and done, I was perfectly parallel to the curb a few inches out. It had visibility like a lighthouse. I assumed the more car-like Subaru's visibility was what made parking harder. Finally on a hunch I looked up the numbers - the new Subaru was 11 inches longer than the 'bigger' SUV! No wonder this was harder to park. That extra length made a huge difference in daily convenience.

Wozniak mentioned in an article - I think linked from here - that he prefers his Bolt for visits to the City (San Francisco) from his home down the Peninsula because it is simple to park in downtown congestion, in contrast to his Tesla. That makes perfect sense to me. There's a real advantage to a smaller car in urban use.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
With the overhead view in both R and D, I maneuvered out with nary a scratch compliments of lower overall length, higher wheelbase to length ratio, and good turning radius. Thanks Chevy!
I've always driven small cars with a tight turning radius, but the surround view brings a whole new level of ease. I grin with every parallel park!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've always driven small cars with a tight turning radius, but the surround view brings a whole new level of ease. I grin with every parallel park!
****, now I'm jelly of that surround view. Just couldn't justify the Premier price premium. The numbers just weren't in my wallet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there a button to turn on that surround view somewhere when you're pulling into a garage? sure is a feature I never thought I'd need until it came on the first time.

This article had me go look at a Bolt EV, ended up getting one. I love Tesla, still do. I've been 'waiting to afford one' for way to long burning too much gas. The Bolt EV isn't a Tesla, but it's a nice solid EV and fits my needs very well.

Some things I'd Like

Powered Seats, I'm sorry, I have a short wife. I know it takes power but maybe some smarts + power seats of if <25% don't auto-adjust when I walk up to it but if it's on the charger, and I have fancy keys that you can identify me with, set my mirror and seats please.

Powered Lift gate, or powered assist. or something fancier I don't know about. Flicking up the hatch only to have it fall back down in pouring rain after 10 years with every other vehicle having a powered lift gate...it's silly, but I'd probably have paid for the option.

other than that, I'm pretty happy. This is a commuter/grocery/errands car, I lead a family of six, there is no way we're doing a road trip in any EV that is <$100K right now. That's what the Expedition EL is for.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Unfortunately, it is a two (and sometimes three) button push. IF the 4 dot menu button is visible, press it. (If not, press ‘Home’ then ‘menu’.) Then press ‘camera’ at the bottom left and you have (“overhead”) surround view.

·
Registered
612 Posts
... Flicking up the hatch only to have it fall back down in pouring rain ... with every other vehicle having a powered lift gate...
A lift gate doesn't have to fall.

I recently replaced the hatchback struts in the '05 Focus Wagon.

$25 (Ebay) for the pair and 2 minutes work. Apparently that Ebay supplier sends the same struts for any Ford. If anything, these are a little stronger than OEM. Good for another 10 years.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts