Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a pair of OEM Michellin. Run over something on the freeway and now my two drivers side tires are busted. Im in Socal by the way. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,425 Posts
Looking to buy a pair of OEM Michellin. Run over something on the freeway and now my two drivers side tires are busted. Im in Socal by the way. Thanks!
Be sure to move the two older tires to the same axle, then put the new ones on the other, assuming the wear is similar. Any tire dealer worth their salt will know to do this. Oh, and reset the TPMS for the sensor movement.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ouch! Been there, done that. I hit a pothole and flattened both passenger side tires. Good luck on your search for tires!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually have a good looking pair of the oem michelins I could sell. Shipping is the question, I'm in north Alabama, SoCal might be expensive?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just spent two weeks trying to find one, even called Michelin, everyone said BACKORDER no idea when available. Finally did find one lonely tire in an out of the way Costco. IMO- now would be a good time to go to new set of Continentals, cheaper, better quality, quieter, longer lasting, and great on wet roads. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Tires are easy to ship. Just do what Tire Rack does, wrap two together with plastic cling wrap and put the label under the last couple of layers.

The tires weigh 22# each, so 44# total; get the zip codes and both FedEx and UPS have online calculators to give the shipping cost. From experience, estimate $65 total.

Back before covid, Fastenal was trying to get in to the store-to-store shipping business and would often undercut the big guys. However, they got very gunshy during the pandemic and stopped that. No word on if/when they'll be back.

jack vines

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
162 Posts
Just spent two weeks trying to find one, even called Michelin, everyone said BACKORDER no idea when available. Finally did find one lonely tire in an out of the way Costco. IMO- now would be a good time to go to new set of Continentals, cheaper, better quality, quieter, longer lasting, and great on wet roads. Good luck.
I simply wore out my OEM Michelins at about 36K last year and replaced them. But the Michelins even then were unobtainium. I got some Bridgestone run-flats that fit and are actual run-flat, not self-sealing. Upside is that they're a tad grippier, especially in the rain, than the Michelins were. Downside is that they are a little noiser, harder-riding regardless of pressure, higher rolling resistance and heavier (so the "kwh mileage" drops a few tenths). On the gripping hand, they can handle up to 50 psi (unlike the Michelins' limit of 44), so they can be pumped up harder (I run 42ish cold most of the time) which mitigates the efficiency damage somewhat. They were quoted at about the same price as the Michelins, and had the advantage of being available (order them one day at America's Tire, have them ready to install the next).

Plan B might be to get some normal tires (non-self-seal) and a couple cans of flat fixer. Much lower cost, and wider variety of tires available.
Edit: I don't like Continentals - expensive, sometimes hard to find, no self-seal option for the Bolt (remember, no spare) at least when I was looking last year, higher rolling resistance and softer so they likely won't last as long as the OEM Michelins.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was just in a FedEx Office store and asked about shipping tires via FedEx Ground. They told me that if you don't package the tires in a box, they will charge an additional handling fee. Apparently FedEx is trying to discourage people from shipping anything that isn't rectangular and/or in a box?!? So they may allow businesses to ship bundled tires without restrictions, but if you're a private individual they might hit you with a surcharge.

Font Material property Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
So they may allow businesses to ship bundled tires without restrictions, but if you're a private individual they might hit you with a surcharge.
Your results may vary, but I ship and receive tires bundled two each on a regular basis. What a franchise FedEx storefront tells walk-ins and what FedEx does for accounts may, indeed, be different. Find a friend with an account; less expensive anyway. Storefronts charge a substantial markup.

jack vines

·
Registered
25 Posts
I simply wore out my OEM Michelins at about 36K last year and replaced them. But the Michelins even then were unobtainium. I got some Bridgestone run-flats that fit and are actual run-flat, not self-sealing. Upside is that they're a tad grippier, especially in the rain, than the Michelins were. Downside is that they are a little noiser, harder-riding regardless of pressure, higher rolling resistance and heavier (so the "kwh mileage" drops a few tenths). On the gripping hand, they can handle up to 50 psi (unlike the Michelins' limit of 44), so they can be pumped up harder (I run 42ish cold most of the time) which mitigates the efficiency damage somewhat. They were quoted at about the same price as the Michelins, and had the advantage of being available (order them one day at America's Tire, have them ready to install the next).

Plan B might be to get some normal tires (non-self-seal) and a couple cans of flat fixer. Much lower cost, and wider variety of tires available.
Edit: I don't like Continentals - expensive, sometimes hard to find, no self-seal option for the Bolt (remember, no spare) at least when I was looking last year, higher rolling resistance and softer so they likely won't last as long as the OEM Michelins.
I have a spare, jack, and wrench in mine now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts