Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JMO myself and many others have been really confused by the GOM because we have misunderstood its purpose.

It has taken over a year since purchasing a Bolt to sort of finally understand the GOM and why it has caused worry, fear, uncertainty, disappointment, and annoyance all along because it seems the battery never charges to full advertised range even though the car's infotainment center and little green light claim the battery is fully charged.

It is not only about cold weather.

A few days ago while being annoyed with 118-miles range after an outdoor 30-degree overnight L2 charge was reminded of some posts read here recently that noted the GOM projects range based on driver history.

It took a day or so for that to sink in.

Was thinking if not at spec full range the battery cannot be at full charge.
Now realize that idea is completely wrong.

"Range" is not how far the car will travel or how much charge is in the batteries.

The GOM offers an algorithmic analysis of a user's driving habits. Not sure yet what to think about this. Might be more concerned if finding my driving habits have been used to create a user profile that is sold to third parties.

Whatever.

In use, while driving the car, the GOM is not an EV substitute for a ICE fuel level gauge. It has nothing to do with the car's operation and is all about analysing the driver.

Rather than the GOM's psychoanalysis, would rather have a simple meter showing how much actual charge is in the batteries.

Would rather be left alone in "private driving mode" and left on my own to figure out how much range is available given the level of charge in the batteries.

Just found out the Mach-E has a reset feature that deletes the driver history on which it bases available range estimates, and click-click, full spec advertised range appears on its version of a GOM.

Does the Bolt have this reset driver history feature?

· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,440 Posts

I reset the DIC trip odo after every drive, not just after every charge. This way the trip odo gives me my mi/kWh for THIS drive. I suspect this gives a more real time GOM number also, but couldn't swear to it, as I ignore the GOM number. I look at the "gas gauge"/green bars.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
well... after a while I learnt that:
  • I can cause the narrow line (predictor) on the side of the GOM to go up or down by making some changes to my driving
  • I treat the numbers with great respect and rather I use them as a some indication of what I have left vs what it thinks I can do (if I know my route and I know how many miles are left, I can do the math on the fly and monitor the numbers if the difference (reserve: what it says minus that is left to go) stays the same
  • I can get further than it says if I drive slower
  • I mainly use the bars as those tell me what is the energy content as @GJETSON said. That is my energy I have left. One bar is about 3 kWh and I know going 40 mph will give me about 5.5 miles to kWh... or going 80 mph will return 2.5 miles to kWh.... my choice how to use the energy

and a few other small things.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
The GOM not only learns driver behavior, but also the battery capacity. Your low range may be due to the GOM being unaware of the true capacity of the battery. To help the GOM learn about the battery capacity, try letting the battery SOC dip down real low before charging it again.

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier: sold back to GM Jan ‘23
2,677 Posts
Rather than the GOM's psychoanalysis, would rather have a simple meter showing how much actual charge is in the batteries.
The problem is, especially among new EV drivers, they want to know how far they can drive. Not how much charge is in the battery. Yes, with experience the driver would benefit more by knowing the state of charge, and not some arbitrary distance that may or may not be accurate for the upcoming drive. The car can't know that your previous drive was flat terrain and moderate speeds, while your upcoming trip is on the freeway and will be crossing a mountain pass (or two). But the GOM at least gives the less experienced some idea about how far they can drive. With the Bolt displaying a min and max value, that helps the driver at least consider what the upcoming trip might actually need for range.

· Registered
501 Posts
The other day I've drove about 20km before the GOM began to drop that middle number. The drive before, I was in a hurry and drove faster then usual. That number is just a number. The only number I care about is the Min number and only when I think I might be flush but other then that I watch for the green bars and the trend line

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier - Silver
579 Posts
It has taken over a year since purchasing a Bolt to sort of finally understand the GOM

You've had your Bolt for "over a year" and you don't know there is "a simple meter showing how much actual charge is in the batteries"? It's the fuel gauge - in 5% green bar increments - behind the GOM.

· Registered
778 Posts
Would rather be left alone in "private driving mode" and left on my own to figure out how much range is available given the level of charge in the batteries.

Just found out the Mach-E has a reset feature that deletes the driver history on which it bases available range estimates, and click-click, full spec advertised range appears on its version of a GOM.

At issue here is still the fact that you fill the battery with kWh, not miles. How many miles you get from those kWh depends on all those factors the GOM algorithm looks at. The battery SOC is shown to the nearest 5% with the green bars and to the nearest 1% in the MyChevrolet app.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
At issue here is still the fact that you fill the battery with kWh, not miles. How many miles you get from those kWh depends on all those factors the GOM algorithm looks at. The battery SOC is shown to the nearest 5% with the green bars and to the nearest 1% in the MyChevrolet app.
Small nitpick. It does not show the nearest. It shows the ceiling. So if you have 16 bars SOC, that means 75%-80%. You see this at DCFC all the time... EA will show, say 75% or 76% on its station screen, but your DIC shows 16 bars.

· Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT Summit White
154 Posts
Newer gas cars have GOM too, but they also tell you the current mpg average to help you figure out why it's guessing so low/high. Our Subaru Forester gets around 20mpg around town, which is mostly what the wife drives, but going on a trip gets over 30mpg, so on a full tank it's GOM usually says about 200 miles, but then we drive 3 hours straight on the highway and it starts creeping up to near 300 miles before it starts going back down.

I think part of the issue is the GOM range is displayed prominently over the 'fuel' gauge, not in another part of the infotainment, as opposed to just having a percent left like regular fuel gauges. Also regular fuel guages also would lie, taking a a while to drop from full to 3/4, then drop like a stone from 1/2 to 1/4 to E, now that's a GOM!

· Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,685 Posts
The problem is, especially among new EV drivers, they want to know how far they can drive. Not how much charge is in the battery. But the GOM at least gives the less experienced some idea about how far they can drive.
I guess my wife and I are just perpetually, new and less experienced EV drivers, since we continue to find the GOM useful ever since getting our Volt in late 2017. Perhaps, someday we'll join the ranks of the more sophisticated members on this forum. :D

· Registered
308 Posts
The car can't know that your previous drive was flat terrain and moderate speeds, while your upcoming trip is on the freeway and will be crossing a mountain pass (or two).
Well, actually, that's exactly how Tesla treats it. When you enter a destination in the navigation it represents the SOC on arrival according to the terrain that will be covered, the projected usage of climate control, the driving style and a number of other factors. Only way you get to destination having deviated from that figure is if you accelerate like a crazy person at every light resulting in excess energy usage (or potentially if you drive to the mountain and encounter a 50 degree drop in temperature). Otherwise I tend to arrive at my destination with a higher % than predicted because I just love beating the computer 😬, and because the prediction on climate usage tends to be on the high side.

From my perspective, it's this type of data that's beneficial to novice EV drivers. It's clear, it's concrete and it leaves very little room for interpretation. I.e. 22% on arrival after a 2hr drive is based on what's ahead of you + data from how you drove prior.

· Registered
308 Posts
The GOM offers an algorithmic analysis of a user's driving habits. Not sure yet what to think about this. Might be more concerned if finding my driving habits have been used to create a user profile that is sold to third parties.
Not sure I'd even it call it that sophisticated. The figure represented by the GOM is based on the immediate past, though I admittedly can't represent if that's 5 miles, 15 miles, 5 mins or 15 mins. But what's for sure is that the range that you will be provided will depend entirely on what "just" happened in regards to driving style and condition.

So, if you've just driven up a mountain the range you'll see represented will be super low (relative to actual battery capacity) regardless of your driving history. While if you've just driven down a mountain the range represented will be super high (relative to actual battery capacity) regardless of your driving history.

My recommendation on the Bolt is to use the bars behind the GOM to get a relative idea of battery SOC and derive your calculations from that. Only use the GOM figures when driving in your day-to-day super predictable conditions (i.e. commuting to the same place each day). Otherwise, pay for ABRP premium and use it through CarPlay to get a Tesla-like representation of SOC at destination.

· Registered
3,582 Posts
Unfortunately, you spent a year in the "unknown" while if you would have read the Owners Manual you'd have had the answer from the first day of ownership of your Bolt EV.
Font Parallel Circle Diagram Screenshot

· Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,627 Posts
I guess my wife and I are just perpetually, new and less experienced EV drivers, since we continue to find the GOM useful ever since getting our Volt in late 2017. Perhaps, someday we'll join the ranks of the more sophisticated members on this forum. :D
Love the GOM..low medium and high range. Showing you real time range

1 - 20 of 107 Posts