Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks all for the comments and referral to the other thread.
Agree newbies like me need a lot of help.

Missed the part "based on driver habits."

Also because of being old school negligent do not pay a lot of attention to anything except speedometer, and didn't pay a lot of attention beyond one reading to the owner's manual.

Became a member here instead because owners know more, just my opinion.

Apologies to those who would condemn me for not wanting a social relationship with my car or wanting to know much about it unless required.

The point of the opening post was to highlight the confusion those like me have had and make some sort of attempt to explain it.

When in the morning we get into an ICE car and the fuel gauge says "full" we know there is gas in the tank up to the maximum the tank can hold.

When we get in an EV in the morning after charging all night and it tells us, based on driver habits, we only have three-fourths or less of "full range," it is not the same thing as a full tank of gas.

But for some of us it takes awhile to understand that and we ask silly irritating to some questions because things make no sense.

Why is it the car never shows the full range I thought I was buying?

Now I know.

Is it possible like on the Mach-E to reset driver habits to none?

· Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT, Silver Flair Metallic (packages: Driver Confidence, Comfort, Convenience)
66 Posts
The car can't know that your previous drive was flat terrain and moderate speeds, while your upcoming trip is on the freeway and will be crossing a mountain pass (or two).
I have a story that shows how much terrain can be a factor. Thanksgiving morning, I drove to my sister's house for the day for the first time in my new car. I decided to take the back roads (18 miles, 40 minutes) instead of the route involving mostly interstate (25 miles, 30 minutes). The back roads are mostly county roads with few stop signs and lights, and the trip is moderately hilly. The temperatures that morning and evening were both in the mid-70s.

My driveway to hers for that 18 mile trip, the mid-range estimate on the GOM dropped by 20 miles. But for the drive back, it only dropped by 5 miles. I remember having to press the accelerator more driving to her house than I did on the drive back, and subsequent visits have confirmed this. So clearly the trip home is more downhill. The only other noticeable difference on Thanksgiving was the much lighter traffic on the way back, where several times no cars were behind me, and I could let the car decelerate while traveling uphill. On subsequent trips home with more traffic behind me, the mid-range estimate on the GOM dropped by about 12 miles. And each time I have driven to her house, the GOM difference was around 20 miles.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all trips were in one-pedal mode.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Apologies to those who would condemn me for not wanting a social relationship with my car or wanting to know much about it unless required.
IMO, this is the right way to look at your car! And to some extent I think GM failed with the UI. But I think a lot about EVs will eventually become conventional car wisdom... you know, like the knowledge we take for granted about gas cars (oil changes, octane, etc...).

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Yes. Just press on the ✅ button on your steering wheel before you start driving. It will reset the Average/Distance in the DIC but it will keep the GOM numbers you had before. Once you start driving, the numbers on GOM will start to change, based on the present driving conditions and HVAC settings you use in this trip. Your GOM will become this way pretty much spot on for your daily driving. As long as you understand what GOM is, you'll know when to look at it and when to disregard it.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
IMO, this is the right way to look at your car! And to some extent I think GM failed with the UI. But I think a lot about EVs will eventually become conventional car wisdom... you know, like the knowledge we take for granted about gas cars (oil changes, octane, etc...).
This will happen when the DCFC infrastructure will be wide spread in the country and most important, reliable. Until then, people should learn what their car tells them so that they don't look like fools stranded on the road 0.5 miles away from the DCFC station. My $0.02

· Registered
1,574 Posts
This will happen when the DCFC infrastructure will be wide spread in the country and most important, reliable. Until then, people should learn what their car tells them so that they don't look like fools stranded on the road 0.5 miles away from the DCFC station. My $0.02
No, I disagree. Every EV has some variant of a GOM. Generations from now, people will come to have some expectations about how GOMs behave.

EDIT: It's funny you mention the "fools" stranded on the road. Two of our most experienced Bolt forum members ended up stranded on the road... because the GOM UI sucks.

· Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,646 Posts
You can reset your most recent driving record (distance and time traveled, average speed, miles/kWh), but I doubt the GOM calculator is wiped by this. I reset my data every time I fully charge, and the GOM doesn't change when I do it. It's still basing the estimated range on the most recent driving data.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
EDIT: It's funny you mention the "fools" stranded on the road. Two of our most experienced Bolt forum members ended up stranded on the road... because the GOM UI sucks.
Define most experienced. For me, Eric Way is the most experienced Bolt EV driver. And I learned a lot from him, I admit it. In fact he’s the reason I decided to change my Volt for the Bolt EV in 2018, because he showed me what the car can do. I don’t remember him being stranded on the road because of the GOM or anything else.

I drove my Bolt EV for 4 years already in -25C and +35C degrees and NEVER was left stranded on the road. And yes, I like to go 10% SOC or bellow. But it’s true, I know my car and what can it do. I also know what GOM is.

The only situation I would see myself stranded on the road would be because I arrived to a DCFC station that is not functioning. Not because I didn’t read the GOM right. People don't understand that the numbers on the left of the DIC are not everything and that you have all you need in front of your eyes to avoid a situation where you are forced to stop on the road because you have no more electrons in the battery.

· Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
1,273 Posts
Just chiming in... as I'm nearing 5 years of Bolt EV ownership I felt that having both the GOM number and an accurate battery SOC % helped immensely in planning trips and reacting to real-time driving conditions. The former gives me a good trend and estimate of whether the trip I'm making is doable. The latter (provided by a separate display I installed) removes a lot of uncertainties about the actual battery status especially in low SoC and supplements the GOM in last-mile situations.

If you drive largely within 20-100% SoC then the GOM is going to be good enough. But if you're constantly tempting fate below 10% then the difference between a blinking single bar and a real number like 3.53% is going to be like night and day. Thanks to that I've been able to drive to the charger at the destination with less than 2% of battery left multiple times without getting stranded. I certainly don't condone this to others... but information helps, that's all I'm saying.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
…But if you're constantly tempting fate below 10% then the difference between a blinking single bar and a real number like 3.53% is going to be like night and day. Thanks to that I've been able to drive to the charger at the destination with less than 2% of battery left multiple times without getting stranded. I certainly don't condone this to others... but information helps, that's all I'm saying.
MyChevrolet app does this for me. I confess, I pay for it a monthly fee, but hey, my money, my choice. Although it's not really necessary and sometimes is useless when you are in the middle of nowhere with no cell signal.

And let’s face it, most people wouldn’t know what to do even with the numbers of % SOC right in their face. That’s why they find themselves clueless when there are no more numbers in the GOM. And that’s a reality, don't make it personal.

P.S. You can see the GOM numbers even after the Low shows up. Just stop the car and start it again.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Define most experienced. For me, Eric Way is the most experienced Bolt EV driver. And I learned a lot from him, I admit it. In fact he’s the reason I decided to change my Volt for the Bolt EV in 2018, because he showed me what the car can do. I don’t remember him being stranded on the road because of the GOM or anything else.

I drove my Bolt EV for 4 years already in -25C and +35C degrees and NEVER was left stranded on the road. And yes, I like to go 10% SOC or bellow. But it’s true, I know my car and what can it do. I also know what GOM is.

The only situation I would see myself stranded on the road would be because I arrived to a DCFC station that is not functioning. Not because I didn’t read the GOM right. People don't understand that the numbers on the left of the DIC are not everything and that you have all you need in front of your eyes to avoid a situation where you are forced to stop on the road because you have no more electrons in the battery.
These are people (like p7wang) who have been here for a long time and have had their Bolts for years. The irony is that they trusted the GOM a little too much. My take away from those 2 recent posts about the GOM failing them is that the GOM is not to be trusted for low SOC (like 10%).

I'm sure GM and other manufacturers will improve the GOM experience for future drivers. Needing to read a manual and have a sticky thread for something that should be self-explanatory is an indication of a massive failure in UI design. OP's post should not exist IMO. Imagine needing to read a manual to use GUI-based computer software... like Windows or Office. It's unheard of.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Imagine needing to read a manual to use GUI-based computer software... like Windows or Office. It's unheard of.
Maybe for you, but when I want to use Office to the full extent of its capabilities, I do read the manual (the Help at least). Yes, to use it for writing a text, you don’t need much, you just type. or when you want to add some numbers is pretty simple. But when you want to make functions or choice boxes, well, you start to read the manual. As the GOM is. You use to stop and charge @ 10% SOC or above, you don’t need much, it’s good enough. You want to go lower, well, you need to learn some more about it.

· Registered
1,574 Posts
Maybe for you, but when I want to use the OFFICE to the full extent of its capabilities, I do read the manual (help). Yes, to use it for writing a text, you don’t need much, you just type. or when you want to add some numbers is pretty simple. But when you want to make functions or choice boxes, well, you start to read the manual. As the GOM is. You use to stop and charge @ 10% SOC or above, you don’t need much, it’s good enough. You want to go lower, well, you need to learn some more about it.
It's more complicated than you car's dashboard gages! Or it's supposed to be! The difference is that Microsoft is a company that knows how to write software and UIs -- so that even a toddler or old person can just pick things up and start using them -- and GM is a car company who can't write software to save themselves.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
It's more complicated than you car's dashboard gages! Or it's supposed to be! The difference is that Microsoft is a company that knows how to write software and UIs -- so that even a toddler or old person can just pick things up and start using them -- and GM is a car company who can't write software to save themselves.
You chose to compare the two…

· Registered
1,574 Posts
You chose to compare the two…
Yes... because Microsoft writes more complicated software that requires no manual to use their software. Yet the GOM -- for even basic usage! -- you have to read a manual or a sticky thread or a number of facebook posts or reddit posts or post on chevybolt.org or do some math or watch YouTube to understand why your car is not working the way it should.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Yes... because Microsoft writes more complicated software that requires no manual to use their software. Yet the GOM -- for even basic usage! -- you have to read a manual or a sticky thread or a number of facebook posts or reddit posts or post on chevybolt.org or do some math or watch YouTube to understand why your car is not working the way it should.
Thanks GOD for Microsoft writing software, because it helps me being payed big money ! You do know the "don’t panic before reboot" mantra, right ? SQL and objectSID vs SIDHistory is one of their idiotic things they do.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts