Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing so many more Plug-in's these days... a year ago, I would occasionally see a Volt, Prius Prime and Tesla. Nowadays, I am seeing multiple plug-in's daily.

This morning, 1 Tesla Model S next to me
At lunch, saw 1 Model 3 and then Volt pulled up next to me at the stop light
Did not notice any on the way home today.
That's 3 today. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Same here in the middle of New Mexico. Two Model Ss showed up on driveways of my neighborhood recently, and I've seen two Model 3s on the roads nearby. I've also seen no fewer than five different Bolts on the roads, as well as a Volt, a BMW i3, and a couple of Leafs.

Last weekend I parked my Kinetic Blue Bolt next to... another Kinetic Blue Bolt! I really should have taken a picture. They were like twins!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've seen 1 Bolt in my area but the number of Tesla's has definitely increased. I see one Volt a month, but starting to think it's the same Volt each time.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My neighbor in town has a Tesla X, next neighbor beyond that a Bolt. And across the street from that Bolt another Bolt, new, following a C-Max they used to have. Somewhere down the street a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid van that goes by silently occasionally. Me, I'm waiting to order a Tesla Y as soon as the options include a trailer hitch, after reluctantly deciding a Bolt doesn't have the cargo space I need as a part time hobby farmer. If Chevrolet 's vaporware CUV ever becomes real I would consider that too.

I see Tesla 3's frequently on the road, location within 80 mile perimeter of the SF Bay Area.. Bolts and Tesla X's not quite as frequently. Leafs and electric Fiat 500 occasionally on the highway, not so much anywhere near me.

In summary EV's are now commonplace in Northern California.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen 1 Bolt in my area but the number of Tesla's has definitely increased. I see one Volt a month, but starting to think it's the same Volt each time.
How similar? Is it the same Volt? Are you sure it was the same Volt?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think I own the second Bolt in this neighborhood, which has recently gone up to three total. Several new Teslas here as well. Lots of Volts and Leafs. There were a number of Hybrids and Teslas in this area due to the merely ~ 40 mile commute to a lot of tech job heavy spots.

I see lots of Bolts in the Austin / San Antonio / Dallas area. Including a small number of them associated with some kind of cleaning company along with many privately owned ones. Teslas are very common. Even saw my first broken down one a few months ago.*

*This is America. You know something is mainstream when you see an abused broken down version stranded on the side of the road. Like fridges and illegally dumped aluminum flat bottom fishing boats. Insert Patriotic Music Here.

·
Registered
222 Posts
None in my town on the outskirts of Ft.Myers. In fact,I had never seen a Bolt before I took delivery. In 12 days of ownership, still haven't seen another EV.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Here in Vancouver BC I haven't seen much change in the number of EVs except for Tesla Model 3's, which are exploding. I usually see at least a couple every day, whereas I can go for weeks without seeing a Bolt.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Here in Central NY, I actually noticed a surge of EVs about 6-7 years ago. At the time, it was mostly Volts, a few Model Ses and a very occasional Leaf. Then they seemed to all disappear for 3 years or so, and I rarely saw any EVs. Now the tide is turning again and I see a ton of Model 3s, Prius Primes, and Volts with the occasional Leaf, Bolt, Niro, and Ioniq thrown in there*.

*Sightings exclude the nearly 20 EVs that are currently parked at my workplace.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My neighbor in town has a Tesla X, next neighbor beyond that a Bolt. And across the street from that Bolt another Bolt, new, following a C-Max they used to have. Somewhere down the street a Chrysler Pacifica hybrid van that goes by silently occasionally. Me, I'm waiting to order a Tesla Y as soon as the options include a trailer hitch, after reluctantly deciding a Bolt doesn't have the cargo space I need as a part time hobby farmer. If Chevrolet 's vaporware CUV ever becomes real I would consider that too.

I see Tesla 3's frequently on the road, location within 80 mile perimeter of the SF Bay Area.. Bolts and Tesla X's not quite as frequently. Leafs and electric Fiat 500 occasionally on the highway, not so much anywhere near me.

There's an aftermarket company that made the one for my model 3 which I would imagine they will have one for the Y soon after it's available.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Traveling to PA there are two DCFC's I use, one in CT and the other in NY. Up until a month ago there had never been another EV at either location the entire time I was charging. Recently however, at the NY location, there was another Bolt and a Kia Soul and while I was there a Model X showed up and tried to plug in using an EVgo charger. At first he tried using a CHAdemo plug and quickly realized it didn't fit, then did the same using a CCS! It seems he bought the car used and no one had given him any instructions on how to charge!

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
All EVs are essentially less than a 10 years old, so they haven't really started going to the crusher due to old age yet. We can expect a continual growth of EVs on the roads then since they are still being sold, and existing ones aren't disappearing very quickly.

The fact that we see more around isn't an indication of an market that's growing. In fact, last year worldwide and US EV sales were both down about 10% from the previous year. I expect to see an increasing number of EVs, but don't have a good sense for what the nearterm will be. Federal subsidies for Tesla are gone, and GM is right behind them. On the one hand, Tesla has the Model Y to begin deliveries soon, which is a highly sought after vehicle, but on the other hand, probably most people that wanted EVs purchased one when the federal tax credit was available. I tend to think US Tesla sales will be down from last year, and so the US market will be down. Perhaps global sales will rebound though now that Tesla is ramping up production in China, as well as other automotive manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
On the one hand, Tesla has the Model Y to begin deliveries soon, which is a highly sought after vehicle, but on the other hand, probably most people that wanted EVs purchased one when the federal tax credit was available. I tend to think US Tesla sales will be down from last year, and so the US market will be down. Perhaps global sales will rebound though now that Tesla is ramping up production in China, as well as other automotive manufacturers.
Model Y may well eat all other EV sales. This won't be good for the legacy makers. I don't know how it will effect Tesla, as a company.

Here in the land of Trump 2020 flag flying pickups, I see lots of Model 3, a handful of Model X, a smaller, shrinking number of Model S. The total of all other EVs driving around here is now about equal to the number of Model S remaining.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here in the Atlanta Area, there have always been a lot of Leaf's due to the generous State rebates from several years ago (since gone).

While I don't see many Bolt's on the roads (maybe once a month), there are A LOT of Tesla's popping up everywhere.
This must be a good market for them, I can't drive more than a mile without seeing one nowadays. It's quite nice.
I also see the occasional BMW i3. And then a few of the PHEV once in a while, Ford, Chrysler, Volt, etc...but not many. Mainly in office parks if they have an L2 charger on site.

In all honesty, until I bought the Bolt on a whim and started researching EV's, I'm not sure I could have recognized many of them other than the Leaf. Now, I am simply more aware, so I start seeing more. But Tesla sightings are significantly on the rise around here in the past 6 month's. (y)

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Here in the land of Trump 2020 flag flying pickups, I see lots of Model 3, a handful of Model X, a smaller, shrinking number of Model S. The total of all other EVs driving around here is now about equal to the number of Model S remaining.
...and those Trump folks will one day adopt EVs once they become more mainstream. Conservatives are laggards with regard to technology adoption (and new stuff in general) by definition. Who knows if those future EVs will be trucks, or something else. Then further out, vehicles will become autonomous, so projecting an image through vehicle ownership will be even less common.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
...and those Trump folks will one day adopt EVs once they become more mainstream. Conservatives are laggards with regard to technology adoption (and new stuff in general) by definition. Who knows if those future EVs will be trucks, or something else. Then further out, vehicles will become autonomous, so projecting an image through vehicle ownership will be even less common.
Don't sell these folks short. Some are already EV owners for security reasons. Even the hardcore petrol heads I talk to are saying EVs are the future, though they will never own one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Downtown Sacramento ... literally EV's everywhere! All makes and models and occasionally I've also seen FCEVs. One of the most interesting is the UPS EV truck that runs a route near our office. I see that one quite often. The most common EV here is probably the Model 3, but there are also a large number of BoltEVs and Leafs. Sacramento City uses some BoltEVs for Parking Enforcement and they are also part of the State of California fleet vehicles as are the older Volts. Ok so we also have a lot of electric scooters and bikes (Uber) and private electric scooters are getting more prevalent. Can't wait to see the first EV Pickups! And, of course, the Model Y.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm in the DC exurbs and commute into the suburbs. I've stopped counting Teslas. I think they may be more common than beemers or mercs on my commute. I usually see 2 or more Volts in a day. I've seen at least 6 other distinct Bolts along my commuting route which is about 22mi one way, 1/2 interstate. I've probably spotted another 6 Volts. Hybrids around here are common as dirt, but the plugin's a bit less so. Only a few Prius PHEVs, and I3s, one Miev. I did see an I8 the other day. What a stunning car. In the building where I work (6 floors) there are probably 4 Teslas, 2 or 3 Volts, and one other Bolt which happens to belong to a guy down the hall form me. I see the occasional Leaf, but they aren't distinct enough to normally notice.

At any rate the Tesla count seems to be every increasing at a good rate. Others are also increasing but at a much slower rate, both % wise and in total numbers. It will be interesting to see if Tesla will continue growing like they have over the last year.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I've stopped counting Teslas. I think they may be more common than beemers or mercs on my commute.
That is one interesting statistic to me; that the Model S was (is still?) the highest selling luxury sedan. It stands to reason we might see more of them than other luxury brands now.

The difficult market for EVs is the lower segments; the economy sedans and low to mid-priced CUVs. It seems the $35k price point is about as affordable an EV can be made and not lose money on each one. $35k in the ICE/hybrid market opens a lot of options.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Most common appears to be the Tesla Model 3. Bolts are fairly common as well. Leafs have become less common as older ones' leases expired -- there does not seem to be too much interest in new ones. Tesla Model S and X are in decent numbers, but nowhere near Model 3 volume. Most of the others are occasional sightings.

It does seem that, among non-EVs, new BMW 3-series and Priuses have become less common than in the past. Perhaps the Tesla Model 3 is now selling to people who would have bought either of those cars 5-10 years ago (even though each of those cars' buyers probably would not have considered the other).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts