Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
201 - 213 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Boltemort,

Good and bad news... our 2019 pre-recall-fix is having the same issue. It seems to have started since the software update that limited charging for safety.

Bad news, no one seems to know anything about it or if there is a fix or if it is a hardware or software failure.
Good news, I have a workaround that works, but is rather a PITA.

You are right that the issue isn't the latch itself, but the locking pin behind the latch. The pin should lock the latch in place during charging to prevent inadvertent disconnects, but for some reason it decides randomly every couple of days to lock when there is nothing plugged in, thus preventing the cable from being fully seated.

We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH
I cannot plug the charging cable into the charge port of my (post-recall-fix, 2019, LT DCFC) Bolt.

The problem is the metal "latch" at the top of the charger (see photos) is stuck in position, and physically blocks the top plastic prong on the charge cable. The charge cord cannot get far enough in to click into place. The latch itself seems to be locked in place by a metal prong coming in from the top left.

I think this is meant to be the mechanism that locks the charger in place when the car is charging, but now it is locking the charger out of the port.

I don't know what happened. One day it worked, the next day it didn't.

(I tried lots of different charging cables, and it's definitely a problem with the car's port not the charging cable. I only tried L2 chargers, but I assume no kind of charging cable would work. I turned it on and off a few times and nothing changed. I tried prodding it with a plastic stick and that didn't do anything.)

Ideas/suggestions?

View attachment 39784 View attachment 39785 View attachment 39786
This did the trick for now, will take it in to Chev to get a full fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good and bad news... our 2019 pre-recall-fix is having the same issue. It seems to have started since the software update that limited charging for safety.

We've tried every possible easy solution under the sun to get it to unlock, but we've found only one PITA solution that works... pulling the 12v, waiting a minute or two, and reconnecting it. Fixes it every time, and is a complete and total pain... good reason to make sure you have a 10mm in your car at all times.

Good luck!

JWH
Many, many thanks and a zillion karma points for the tip! As others have found, the dealer said that the entire charging port would have to be replaced, and it's on back-order, and they didn't have a loaner car. Got home with not too many miles to spare, checked this forum, and found your solution which worked a treat! Trying now to get my service rep on the line to pass this along. Cheers!

·
Registered
2019 Bolt
1 Posts
Thanks for all posts in this thread. Greatly appreciated.

Battery disconnect did not work in my case. Tried thrice with reasonably long disconnect times.

Used a flat-bladed screwdriver to force the pin back. (Had to push very hard. Nothing broke!)

Background info:
  • Problem occurred four months after propulsion battery replacement.
  • Have never used Level 3 charging.
  • Tested the 12 Volt battery - it's good.

Have downloaded the Technical Bulletin (post#184). Will watch for pin creep... and await a solution by Chevrolet engineers.

Keeping in reserve the idea of grinding off the plastic latch on my charger.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy bolt premier with Made in USA battery
40 Posts
I think it would be helpful to display a appropriate released up position photo. An appropriate position locked photo.

I’ve seen lots of photos on this forum but they never looked like my car when the charging port has failed. I sometimes have to re-insert my L2 charger to get the tab to pop up and allow the car to charge. There seems to be a fine line in the clip position but I’ve never seen mine block the level two tab. However, sometimes it simply won’t charge until I lift it up a certain way to allow the L2 button to pop back up.

There seems to me to be a fine line between you having to wiggle it to connect and being truely blocked by the tab. I could take a picture of my charging port right now and compare it to the instance when I nor the Chevy bolt dealer couldn’t get the car to charge and I would have a difficult time distinguishing a position change in the clip position being called the source of the problem.My car has never been connected to a dc fast charger unless the dealer has one and connected without my knowledge.
happened to me Saturday. I didn’t think to take pictures, but it looked different after I unhooked the battery. That clip appeared to be up, and loose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you to all posters - disconnecting the 12-volt saved me a service visit. Details:

2019 Premiere
High-voltage battery pack replaced this March under recall program
Since then, my L2 home charger has been more difficult to insert, but this morning, it would not insert at all. I unlocked the car with the remote - no effect. I tried the 120-volt charger that came with the car - would not insert, either. Upon inspection, the silver latch was in the down position.

After a bit of effort, I found this thread showing the latch in the down position, same as the photo from OP. I disconnected the 12-v battery, leaving the batter disconnected for some time (maybe 10-mins - got distracted). Came back to reconnect, heard a whir, checked the charge port to find the silver latch in the up position. Charging normally right now. Had to reset the time as that setting was on Manual, for some reason - not sure what else will be needed.

Thanks again. Excellent advice - I'll carry the 10mm in the glove box now...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe this has already been posted in the thread, but FWIW, here are pictures of the Down and Up position:

Pic below: Latch is incorrectly Down - charger cannot be inserted
Photograph White Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle

Pic below: Latch is Up - charger can be inserted normally
Photograph White Motor vehicle Light Black

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doornumber3, This is amazingly helpful, especially the photos. I sprayed some WD-40 where the stopper piece was located that is supposed to slide back so the top metal latch can disengage. After a couple of minutes, I slipped a small screwdriver behind the latch and tapped the stopper. It popped back, the latch opened, I plugged in my L2 charger and it latched without further incident. Hopefully it will unplug just as easily once charged. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Boltemort,

Bad news, no one seems to know anything about it or if there is a fix or if it is a hardware or software failure.
Good news, I have a workaround that works, but is rather a PITA.

You are right that the issue isn't the latch itself, but the locking pin behind the latch. The pin should lock the latch in place during charging to prevent inadvertent disconnects, but for some reason it decides randomly every couple of days to lock when there is nothing plugged in, thus preventing the cable from being fully seated.

Good luck!

JWH
Worked like a champ, herd the little bugger unlatch as soon as I disconnected the Negative pole on the battery. Charges just fine now! Still going to take it into the service folks and see if they have a better solution.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you to all posters - disconnecting the 12-volt saved me a service visit. Details:

2019 Premiere
High-voltage battery pack replaced this March under recall program
Since then, my L2 home charger has been more difficult to insert, but this morning, it would not insert at all. I unlocked the car with the remote - no effect. I tried the 120-volt charger that came with the car - would not insert, either. Upon inspection, the silver latch was in the down position.

After a bit of effort, I found this thread showing the latch in the down position, same as the photo from OP. I disconnected the 12-v battery, leaving the batter disconnected for some time (maybe 10-mins - got distracted). Came back to reconnect, heard a whir, checked the charge port to find the silver latch in the up position. Charging normally right now. Had to reset the time as that setting was on Manual, for some reason - not sure what else will be needed.

Thanks again. Excellent advice - I'll carry the 10mm in the glove box now...
FWIW, when I told my 23-yo computer engineer daughter this story, she just smiled and said, "Cold boot cures many ills!" LOL! Future cars are going to have to have a Shutdown/Restart function - and it **** well better be secure.

201 - 213 of 213 Posts