Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Is the cooling system in a Bolt EV a lot simpler and less maintenance than in an ICE vehicle that has a radiator and requires a "coolant flush" service every 2 years or so? Are coolant flushes ever needed with a Bolt EV? How often need to replace the coolant?
Coolant flush at 150k miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is the cooling system in a Bolt EV a lot simpler and less maintenance than in an ICE vehicle that has a radiator and requires a "coolant flush" service every 2 years or so? Are coolant flushes ever needed with a Bolt EV? How often need to replace the coolant?
There is a coolant system flush at 150K miles and is basically the only scheduled maintenance, so yes you can almost consider it zero maintenance. There are 3 coolant loops in the Bolt. I'm expecting the flush to cost about $600. You will still have suspension wear items at some point, tires, wipers and fluid. It already has all the mileage 98% of people need. Will probably keep this about 12 years until I retire and at that point we will probably trade it and our Forester in for one new EV that has all the features and safety systems the future brings and that will get me to my grave.

·
Registered
503 Posts
If you do not use the brakes often enough for hard stops, I guarantee you, you will need Caliper Sevice and have rusty rotors, glazed or whatever, eventually if you live in an area where it rains regularly or if there is snow.

The calipers need to be exercised Or they will lock in place. It’s true for any car Exposed to the elements. Use it or lose it.

I recommend moving the caliper pins by hand every two years at a minimum. Firmly brake from 30-40mph to a dead stop a few times a month. Use your parking brake for sure!

The recommended service does not Consider lack of use of these things. Tesla owners are learning this.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts